up here in lalaland ~ Tennessee here we come!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm confused.. I thought you lived in Many-snow-ta! :lol:

I think Deb meant for the entire winter, two feet.

But you are right, sure doesn't snow like it used to. When I was very young we had a snow drift up to the roof of my uncle's shed. They drove the snow blower up on the roof to get rid of the drifts to make sure it didn't cave in.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I think Deb meant for the entire winter, two feet.
That's what we normally get, if that. But last year, we had 3 separate storms that dumped about 2 feet of snow at a time-2 of them were only 1 or 2 weeks apart, don't remember now which. And while we have had on occasion a large storm (in the 2 ft range), they're rare. I cannot ever remember a winter where we had that much snow, and I've lived in this area for my entire life. (I'm 49 now)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, power is back on, was only off for about 12 hours, but I learned some things:
- a bowl of soapy water for washing your hands is deluxe
- not much you can do in the dark with candlelight
- want to have method of making stovetop coffee, including hand grinder for the beans
- think ahead and retrieve what you are going to need from frig that doesn't have to be cold: beverages, butter, eggs, bread,condiments
- it takes an incredibly long time for snow to melt into water at room temp

All in all, I think I could handle power outage for a longer period of time just fine, given I have a propane stove and a wood stove. Biggest issue will be water, I am hoping to put in a hand pump for summer, but in winter, that will still be the biggest issue.

I checked on my neighbors, they were in tough shape: no heat/fireplace/stove, no flashlights or candles, no water, no method of preparing food (electric stove and microwave). They noticed the flickering power, but didn't do anything to prepare. wow.

we were lucky power is back on so soon, there are lots of folks still without power, and our rural electric company says it will take another 48 hours to totally restore power to everyone.

Time to go out and work on those fences that went down.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lalaland said:
ok, power is back on, was only off for about 12 hours, but I learned some things:
- a bowl of soapy water for washing your hands is deluxe
- not much you can do in the dark with candlelight
- want to have method of making stovetop coffee, including hand grinder for the beans
- think ahead and retrieve what you are going to need from frig that doesn't have to be cold: beverages, butter, eggs, bread,condiments
- it takes an incredibly long time for snow to melt into water at room temp
Those are good tips...maybe we should start a separate thread: "Things I learned during the power outage" & people can add their own lessons-learned... :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Keep a cooler on the back porch! We took out everything that we might use often (milk, eggs, butter...etc) and put it in a cooler on the back porch. If it's cold enough to snow, it's cold enough to keep your groceries cold! You can pack snow around everything if need be. ;)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
been distracted with a new sweetheart. not getting enough sleep.

heading to my second thanksgiving dinner today. you can tell how tired I am because...was supposed to make pecan pie.

the yucky kind with karo syrup in it ("we don't want the natural stuff!).

thought, heck I'm not wasting pie dough on that stuff so I picked up some frozen pie crusts, two to a pack. Got one out, stuck it on the counter, mixed up the filling, dumped it in, picked up the pie, and

OH S*&$T - I'm holding a pie crust filled and NO PIE TIN!! grabbed a pie pan and slid that sucker into, cursing like a trucker, filling dripping, pie crust cracking.....did a few repairs, threw it in the oven, and turned to the sink where.......

the cup full of karo syrup was sitting there NOT IN THE PIE. sheeeeeit.

yanked the pie out of the oven, dumped it in a bowl, fished out the pie crust, said a couple of hail mary's, added the danged karo, grabbed the second pie crust, took the tinfoil pie tin off that was supposed to be with the first crust, poured the mix in and threw it back in the oven.

dang. headed to the couch with a white russian in one hand, and a cup of strong coffee in the other.

gonna tackle the 3 dozen deviled eggs in a few minutes.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh no! not pie trama... thats the worst!

hope it came out ok - and deviled eggs too! yum!!!!!
;-)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've made that pie! Using your method. I didn't know a White Russian was the cure. I'll remember for next time! I bet you had better luck with the eggs!!