up here in lalaland ~ Tennessee here we come!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ack. Walk the shore of Superior and what? Freeze?

But thumbs up to some Eva Cassidy!

Hope you and your girlfriend have a great day Lala!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and you call your self a Minnesotan! for heavens sake, didn't you see it is going to warm up to 20 degrees today? Balmy!!

and thanks, I am going to have a fab day with my girlfriend - I really really really like her. We've only been dating seriously for a month or so, been kind of casual for the year before that. Nice to be friends first!

Off to finish chores so I can hit the road.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
HA! You make me snicker. OF COURSE I'm a Many-Snow-tan! You're right, it is rather balmy out, ten degrees. I should have saved my shopping for today.

Really, really really, REALLY? You sound like a teenager! You're worse than me! LOL.

Don't freeze!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lordy lordy, it is hard to cook in your kitchen with another determined cook!

unexpected friends for dinner, everyone wanted to pitch in, but put two of us stubborn ones together and oh my! but I did learn how to make a mean chicken gravy.

it is -16 below, and last night the electric in the coop went out. I'm anxious to see how the chickens did last night, coop is insulated and it was 40 in the coop at 4 pm last night. Am waiting to open it til the sun comes up and warms it up a bit. Probably it is above 0 in the coop - forgot to grease the girls combs up so might have some frostbitten combs.

I will rig something up today but it won't be so bad tonight, only -5 below.

Anyone have a favorite pulled pork recipe? I haven't liked the last couple I've tried - good, but not fabulous.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sound cold. When I do my pulled pork I just crock pot it with a bit of water and seasonings. Then after I shred I add the sauce. We either do sandwiches or over rice. Noting to interesting. But I am feeding kids.

Stay warm.

g

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Your two main options are "cook it in basically-water, then add any desired bbq sauce after it's shredded" versus "cook it in bbq sauce from the get-go".

Because my formative pulled pork experiences are from Eastern NC I am very much of the first camp, and recommend adding a little bit of vinegar and a handful of peeled whole garlic cloves to the water too.

But I've done it the other way as well and that's also all right, especially if you want a very bbq-sauce-y product. If your bbq sauce is too thick you can water it down a bit for cooking, but remember it will water *itself* down a bit with juices from the pork too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Lala....I hope the chickens made it through the cold night!
Haven't seen you post in a while, glad to see you back :)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks, Dace, it just got a little crazy with the holidays, aging parents, new girlfriend, and.....all that!

Chickens did fine, which I thought they would as they are heavy breeds. I shouldn't really use a heat lamp, it is more for me than them!

I've made the pulled pork in the crockpot, adding sauce later but...it seems tasteless before the bbq sauce. I'll try the viengar and garlic!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think vinegar is crucial :drool

Also a nice bun with coleslaw on top of the pile of pulled pork, that is crucial too ;)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
how much to do you use? I'm thinking crockpot, a couple of inches of water, the pock, a couple of cloves of garlic..... what, a good dollop of vinegar?