Upcycled/repurposed projects (MANY)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
If you are purchasing Dewalt from the big box stores, the quality is not as good as contractor grade tools. The difference is plastic gears versus metal gears inside the drill.
My other half's company sells the contractor stuff and it is NICEEEEEE
Yep, we've had that experience too. The contractor stuff is MUCH better, LOVE IT!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hey joel, sorry i havent posted in awhile. Here are some pics of my recent project, a small chicken run. Used old hardwood and tin we had layin around. Had to buy the wire, we didnt have any on hand. Well here are the pics .

4575_chicken_pen_3.jpg

4575_chicken_pen_2.jpg

4575_chicken_pen_1.jpg

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! A very interesting shop repurposing idea. Seems really useful.

A while ago, gd~ said he had a stainless-steel wok that he didn't like for cooking. Not that the wok used for this application would have to be stainless steel. Could be aluminum or some more ordinary steel.

4407_wok_part_positioner.jpg

This is used for the positioning of parts to be welded. The author of the idea tack welds the parts in this wok filled with shot (like bb's). (Later he arc welds the pieces for strength.) He's using "peening shot" - which is a variety of shot used for metal surface treatment, sort of like sand blasting. I guess it's because this shot is the right size, and he was able to get 50 lbs of it cheap.

Here's the very brief story:
http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/shop_projects/wok/index.html
If you click on the link, the story comes up, and then you can click on the picture and get a larger version than shown in my post here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a few recycles and repurposed things I've done lately:

Here is my scare crow...er...hawk made from PVC pipe, plastic bags, packing bubbles and duct tape...her name is Scary Suzy:

5_scary_suzy_on_hawk_watch.jpg

Here is my drill plucker setup. I used Dad's old miter board for a drill pocket, cut an old cart tire for a mess guard to protect my drill, used an ALL detergent bottle as a plucker guard and feather funnel. I haven't worked out the bugs on keeping the funnel guard more aligned but it doesn't hit the plucker fingers when it's in action, so that's okay...I just would like it to look more aligned to the plucker. Still working on that idea but nothing is gelling right now.

5_plucker_guard_feather_funnel.jpg

And when the drill is running...you can see when the jug guard kind of leans to one side. It may be the weight of the shop vac hose or just the torque of the plucker/drill but I will figure it all out or even leave it if it functions properly the way it is now.

5_plucker_in_action.jpg

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for remembering this thread, Bee. :) Very good to see your pics, and get the explanation of the plucker-in-development. Keep us posted.

Is Suzy pretty effective?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So far! They fly over but they don't stop to chat....I think the eyes are the deterrent more than her shape or movement. She is on top of a metal push in stake and she will swivel on windy days but merely sways in place on days with just a breeze.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These things are about bringing our ingenuity back home... not just relying on industrially made gadgets and the newest (often expensive) thing we can buy in a store. Not to say that the components and parts we repurpose haven't come from the industrial output of the world's factories. But more to say that the materials, pieces, and components can have a useful life beyond the point in time when someone junked them. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tried the plucker today...it will be going back in the box in which it came to the place from whence it was spawned. Incredibly and totally worthless.

Ya really can't beat good ol' hands for cheap plucking solutions, can you? :D Take a look at this antique manual chicken plucker I've had all these many years....

200x200px-ZC-e667ac2c_6459_meat_chickens_processing_046.jpeg

And she has been repurposed so many times I can no longer list the things we have used her for...a real gem of a tool on the SS homestead!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My personal chicken coop the City Biddy Hen House (just like the building plans I sell on my website) is made from about 80% recycled materials. Basically I cleaned out the garage when I built my coop!

Right%20Side%20of%20the%20House%20-%202.1.jpg

A%20Full-Size%20People%20Door%20-%204a.jpg

An%20Inside%20View%20of%20the%20Nest%20Box%20-%205a.jpg

It looks a little rough using only the used lumber, but it was CHEEP! (get it cheep. :lol: ) Only the roofing materials, siding and wheels were purchased the rest was just laying around cluttering up my garage.

Also my City Biddy Double WIDE pasture coop contains recycled 2x4 framing and the roof is made of recycled car licenses plates that were saved from the trash can. :D

Nothing so fancy as an aluminum shingled roof!

Swirly%20Roof%201a.JPG