Uses for Rolled Oats

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
they can go rancid, but if you store them in mylar with oxygen absorbers, or use a vacuum sealer-- they'll stay good for years.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
[QUOTE="milkmansdaughter, post: @TexasLisa, I hope you and your family survived the floods with no major losses![/QUOTE]

We are doing fine. We have our neighbors living with us. They live maybe 1/4 of a mile down the road from us and they were flooded out. Luckily our house is on block and beams. Our property was flooded. I quit counting after 25+ inches of rain! The devastation around us is without precedent. Thank you for checking on me.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another vote for meatloaf. I don't use bread or crackers when making it, prefering to use whole cooked barley. I've used oatmeal before as well as wheat and rice. Wheat berries remain too chewy. Dad loves meatloaf but Mom's allergic to wheat and never thought to make it with with grains. It went over very well with the rice.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I never realised just how versatile rolled oats is. I wouldn't have thought of adding it to pancakes, bread, etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes! That's it! Use oat milk to make yogurt. It has a nice sweet oat taste plus the yogurt tang. Really nice. I've been adding 1/2 cup to hot cocoa to make a luscious lukewarm thick hearty proteiny smoothy. So yummy. I also added a dollop to swirl into soup because it's pretty.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do they store well? I need to start buying more in bulk...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
True, I've used it on pork chops when I don't have breadcrumbs.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband is a great cook and he adds a little to soups (like you would barley) to thicken them. And you can make bread. I've used it for cobbler topping. And you mentioned cookies - my youngest 's favorite cookies are oatmeal with butterscotch chips instead of raisins. They're a huge hit at church picnics!

@TexasLisa, I hope you and your family survived the floods with no major losses!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
[QUOTE="milkmansdaughter, post: @TexasLisa, I hope you and your family survived the floods with no major losses!

We are doing fine. We have our neighbors living with us. They live maybe 1/4 of a mile down the road from us and they were flooded out. Luckily our house is on block and beams. Our property was flooded. I quit counting after 25+ inches of rain! The devastation around us is without precedent. Thank you for checking on me.[/QUOTE]
Glad you guys are o.k! I've been thinking of and kept an eye out for you since the hurricane made landfall.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I use rolled oats as thickener in stews, etc sometimes and also feed a bit to the chickens as a treat now then.