Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Of course, silly me. But it still would be better than soy, which will disrupt hormones in the growing baby. Even non-vegan babies have serious health issues on soy formula.

Oops, veg recipes.... I'd better throw one in. I am making copycat Lara bars today, if they come out, I will post the recipe later.
You are so right Free.
Soy based can be very bad for alot of babies and adults.
Soy, I think has not yet had its true "discoveries" made on health effects.
Soy is a wonder yet noticing that many are having soy problems.

What is a Lara bar?
LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is a snack or breakfast bar that has a really good set of ingredients. A student in one of my nutrition classes brought me a wrapper after we talked about bars and how horrible the ones on the market are. I was so pleased at the label, but it is nut-based, and I am allergic to nuts, so I couldn't try it. So she sent me some recipes, and I will make some almond ones for dh and some peanut ones and sunflower seed ones for me. They are mainly dried fruit and coarsely ground nuts.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea but Sylvie what if whole wheat and all that wheat gluten etc. is a problem for you? Many people have whole wheat allergies and all that mess. So again, one diet never fits all, in fact it can kill.

And you are right. Ignorance is a biggie. Ignorance says one can survive on a diet, while the other can not if forced on them.

So the problem being, too much info out there, not enough real hard logical facts. people jump in and change their lifestyle thinking they know, when they don't---and bad comes from that.

ugh

tis life isn't it?
hard to find a true easy balance anymore.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
even my pregnant vegetarian sis in law was told FIRMLY by her holistic, tree huggin, west coast doc that she'd better start eating meat protein or she'd be putting her baby in danger...and she'd been off meat for years and years. fortunately she took the advice and drove directly to the nearest burger place and had a cheeseburger.

i think what most of us are saying is that what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another. caution is best and so is moderation.
I have a holistic naturopathic doctor that would not direct anyone to a cheeseburger joint. She would be more likely to suggest organic grass fed beef or chicken, if need be.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It is a snack or breakfast bar that has a really good set of ingredients. A student in one of my nutrition classes brought me a wrapper after we talked about bars and how horrible the ones on the market are. I was so pleased at the label, but it is nut-based, and I am allergic to nuts, so I couldn't try it. So she sent me some recipes, and I will make some almond ones for dh and some peanut ones and sunflower seed ones for me. They are mainly dried fruit and coarsely ground nuts.
Now that sounds delish. Something I would love.

Yea I checked out the protein/nutrition bars etc. at the store. No matter what they are packed full of good and bad----I want just the good..LOL--so post that recipe when you get a chance.

We know most meals can be made easily meatless.......but snacks are important also.

I wonder if you can make a tofu type bar for protein? I guess they are out there.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sylvie said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
even my pregnant vegetarian sis in law was told FIRMLY by her holistic, tree huggin, west coast doc that she'd better start eating meat protein or she'd be putting her baby in danger...and she'd been off meat for years and years. fortunately she took the advice and drove directly to the nearest burger place and had a cheeseburger.

i think what most of us are saying is that what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another. caution is best and so is moderation.
I have a holistic naturopathic doctor that would not direct anyone to a cheeseburger joint. She would be more likely to suggest organic grass fed beef or chicken, if need be.
sorry... i guess that was implied... Seattle is full of organic grass fed beef - you cant hardly NOT get it unless you go to a fast food place. Niemans Ranch beef is HUGE out there ....and unlike other places, if you ask if the server if the beef is 'vegetarian grass fed' they wont look at you like you have lobsters growing out of your ears.

:)

back here pretty much the only beef we eat is from our friends and neighbors....grass finished of course.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FC, about 20% of the population in this country has a problem with wheat digestion. Most don't know it, since they eat wheat constantly, and the symptoms are constant.

Most can also tolerate wheat, oats, barley, and rye if lactofermented before cooking. Even fewer know this.

Even if one can tolerate gluten, a diet high in any one food item is not a balanced diet, IMO. Variety! Strange that they would choose wheat.... Wheat "potatoes!" Why?:rolleyes:

As far as tofu is concerned...soy! Use sparingly....there are so many hormone-disrupting substances in our foods and environment in today's world, I am of the opinion that we all need to eliminate them where-ever we can, since we cannot eliminate them completely. Pesticides today are mostly hormones. Plastics give off hormone-mimicking substances. Soy is in many, many processed foods. We are bombarded.

Many people also are not aware that hormones are the chemical messengers of our bodies and govern pretty much every function. In common language, we think of the word "hormone" as referring only to reproductive hormones. These are a small fraction of the homones sluicing through our bodies at any given moment. It is critical that they function efficiently, for every area of our health.

Yikes, I am lecturing yet again....

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Strange that they would choose wheat.... Wheat "potatoes!" Why?:rolleyes:
It was my understanding that they felt wheat could be the US's answer to the Zen macrobiotic diet instead of rice.

It was amazingly tedious to eat those meals, as you could well imagine. An almost Buddhist approach in self discipline.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
DEATH BY VEGANISM

6 week old Atlanta baby dies of starvation - the parents convicted of murder

The New York Times
Nina Planck
May 21, 2007

WHEN Crown Shakur died of starvation, he was 6 weeks old and weighed 3.5 pounds. His vegan parents, who fed him mainly soy milk and apple juice, were convicted in Atlanta recently of murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty.
This particular calamity at least the third such conviction of vegan parents in four years may be largely due to ignorance. But it should prompt frank discussion about nutrition.
I was once a vegan. But well before I became pregnant, I concluded that a vegan pregnancy was irresponsible. You cannot create and nourish a robust baby merely on foods from plants.
Indigenous cuisines offer clues about what humans, naturally omnivorous, need to survive, reproduce and grow: traditional vegetarian diets, as in India, invariably include dairy and eggs for complete protein, essential fats and vitamins. There are no vegan societies for a simple reason: a vegan diet is not adequate in the long run.

this is vegan--not vegetarian which does include the proteins like eggs, dairy, etc.

not to be taken as a monster debate at all......just to be realized there are other sides to be taken into consideration when choosing how to live your life and how it might effects others.
Unfortunately, having a baby die from malnourishment is common. Many meat eaters do not feed their children well. I even saw a mother yesterday blow cigarette smoke into her baby's face. Errrr!!! But I degress. The only reason this story is newsworthy is because they are extreme vegans.

I know very many people that are vegetetarians that have perfectly normal children. As long as you consume the correct nutrients, pregnant mothers and children are fine. Let me reiterate, most vegan and vegetarian parent would not be dumb enough to not take supplements and feed their infants improperly. Those parents had more problems then being vegans. Don't judge all of us by them.

As for being a vegan, if you take a vitamin B12 supplement and properly plan your diet you are generally healthy. I think that it is the inability to make meal plans that are the problem. From time to time, I have been a vegan and was still healthy. I just am not that great a planning out meals and taking supplements. Also, cheese and chocolate is way too good to give up.

On that note, finally located the vegetarian food guide of my choice. Having dificullty cutting and pasting. So, you may have to google for the actually webpage. www.dietitians.ca/news/downloads/Vegetarian_Food_Guide_for_NA.pdf It is the Canadian vegetarian food guide.

Side note: My mom gave me soylac and my siblings milk based formula. They were the ones that later developed health problems. Soy is not a problem for everyone. Except if it is GMO. Then it is the devil ;)

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
FC, about 20% of the population in this country has a problem with wheat digestion. Most don't know it, since they eat wheat constantly, and the symptoms are constant.

Most can also tolerate wheat, oats, barley, and rye if lactofermented before cooking. Even fewer know this.

Even if one can tolerate gluten, a diet high in any one food item is not a balanced diet, IMO. Variety! Strange that they would choose wheat.... Wheat "potatoes!" Why?:rolleyes:

As far as tofu is concerned...soy! Use sparingly....there are so many hormone-disrupting substances in our foods and environment in today's world, I am of the opinion that we all need to eliminate them where-ever we can, since we cannot eliminate them completely. Pesticides today are mostly hormones. Plastics give off hormone-mimicking substances. Soy is in many, many processed foods. We are bombarded.

Many people also are not aware that hormones are the chemical messengers of our bodies and govern pretty much every function. In common language, we think of the word "hormone" as referring only to reproductive hormones. These are a small fraction of the homones sluicing through our bodies at any given moment. It is critical that they function efficiently, for every area of our health.

Yikes, I am lecturing yet again....
US pesticides are mostly neurotoxins. The synthetic hormone based pesticides you are referring to is used in China. It is illegal to use them in the US, Cananda and the EU.