Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An adendem to above neurotoxins are just as bad to our health. I just wanted to clarify who uses what. Chinese grown foods are also sold here. So, we get it coming and going.

Does anyone else like greens? I am growing some in my garden this winter to cut down on cost. It is a buck fifty-nine for a small bunch. A package of seeds is about a dollar fifteen. They are so nutritionally dense. I love them. My favorite way to cook them is to lightly stir-fry them in oil.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DianeB, this is why I grow a lot of my foods. My favorite green to grow is Swiss Chard. It is still producing, even after several frosts. I take the outer leaves and let the inner ones keep growing. Or you can cut it all and it will come back all summer and fall.

I hate slugs with a passion, so I plant my greens in buckets. Directions somewhere on this site. I get bumper crops this way, and can move the bucket with the lettuce to extend the season a little bit. Same with the chard, but I haven't needed to, and I am just about ready to be done with chard for the year, anyways!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, here frost isn't really a problem. It seems like it will be a warm winter. We may not have any frost this year. Slugs! Slugs! I hate them too. My chickens usually take care of them...and my greens too. Planning on growing them under row covers.

I am trying to do everything on the cheap this year. Got a ton of coffee grounds from Starbucks, reusing some homemade potting soil and burying half decomposed compost. My garden has had quite a bit added to it already. Pretty sure I wil have a bumper crop this year, too.

There is a great mix that is sold at Baker Creek Heirloom seeds called Dragon Stir-Fry Mix. I think I still have half a package from Spring. They are sold out for this year online. So either I have the seeds or wait until next year.

Forgot to buy swiss chard seeds. Need to go to the nursery today.

Garden season is so exciting!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What I don't understand is if you think carbohydrates are so bad why you would bother to be on a thread about vegetarian food.
First, there is a big difference between a vegetarian and a CARBOTERIAN. A diet high in carbohydrates can be a health disaster for many people. You CAN be a vegetarian and not be a carb junkie at the same time.

Second, did you miss the part about my love of jicama, how I use jicama, broccoli, and peppers, and how I like vegetables in general? Did you completely miss the vegetarian-friendly recipes I posted earlier?

I was a vegetarian for 6 years. I had some good recipes from that time period I still use today. I have vegetarian friends and vegetarian relatives. Sometimes I cook for them. THAT is why I am here.

However, if this is just going to be a meat-eater bashing thread, I will bow out. Inaccurate information doesn't help anybody. If you think eating meat is bad, fine. Don't eat it.

Many meat eaters do not feed their children well.
Generalizing like this isn't helpful either.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone use FitDay or other free weight loss journals to help them plan meals? I have in the past but started to get obsessive with calories and had to take a break now and again.

Fitday seems to be the best. They give you complete information on nutritional data and don't judge your choices. The analysis portion of FoodDiary.com is annoying and insulting. So what if I ate a big piece of chocolate cake. It also only tells you what would be on a nutritional label.

The only problem with FitDay is that you can't enter a whole recipe. You have to figure out what percentage of each ingredient is in your portion. This compels me to eat simplier foods that are easier to enter.

It is also nice to figure out the nutritional density of foods. To understand what is the best bang for your buck.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Is it okay to give brazil nuts to animals? I know it is highly toxic to dogs. One nut will cause them to go into massive convulsions in 20 minutes and die.
I had to look this up, as my dogs have eaten brazil nuts before and they are still alive. Apparently your statement is false. Here are two links, but there are more--just google them

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/brazil-nuts.html

http://www.treshanley.com/cic/brazilnuts.html

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
DianeB said:
Is it okay to give brazil nuts to animals? I know it is highly toxic to dogs. One nut will cause them to go into massive convulsions in 20 minutes and die.
I had to look this up, as my dogs have eaten brazil nuts before and they are still alive. Apparently your statement is false. Here are two links, but there are more--just google them

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/brazil-nuts.html

http://www.treshanley.com/cic/brazilnuts.html
Huh! I was always told they were dangerous. Never tried to experiement on dogs to see. Funny, it was actually on the ASPCA website not to feed it to them. Haven't checked the site in a few years. Or maybe my memory is just shot. They also use to say that about avocados - give them heart palipatations and possible death. My dogs have eaten them and survived. Its also in their dog food. Still alive.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, you're right it is macademia nuts.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It's interesting to me how eating preferences bring up such strong feelings. I guess my only really strong feeling is that food should be good. Whether it is meat (grassfed, organic, natural) or veggies (organic, sustainable).

My only example of vegetarianism is my sister's family. They have an excellent diet. One child is picky as all get out. The other 2 eat ANY vegetable or food put in front of them, although they're not big on dessert. They are happy and healthy.

My own family has chunks of nearly vegetarian eating and chunks of a lot more meat. We are consistently happy and healthy.

I honor and respect all people's chosen way of eating, as long as it is something they have carefully researched and thought out. I do not want anybody commenting negatively on my eating habits and so try to give the same respect to others.

And, yes, DianeB, I LOVE greens! My kale and chard live merrily on while nearly everything else has been wiped out by hard freezes. I love them!

So, enough soap boxing. Here is my latest vegetarian recipe.

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
1 cup water
cup uncooked Arborio rice
2 green bell peppers
1 T olive oil
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 t dried basil
1 t Italian seasoning
1 t salt
teaspoon ground pepper
1 tomato, diced
cup crumbled feta cheese

Boil peppers 3 min, drain. Boil rice and water 20 min. Heat oil. Add onions and seasoning 2-3 min. Stir in tomato and cook 5 min. Spoon in cooked rice and stir until heated through. Remove from heat, mix in feta and spoon into pepper halves. Bake at 400 for 5 min.