Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

Lovefamof7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been struggling with this sulfurous vegetables component. 2 - 3 cups of sulfurous veggies.

I've learned that 2 garlic cloves = 1 cup of sulfurous veggie.

I'm planning to eat and count eggs towards my sulfur. I can add one hard-cooked egg to my daily salad! Maybe two.

I looked up conversion for fresh kale to kale powder. Says 4 teaspoons = 1 cup fresh. Seems implausible, but I don't have any better guidance. I would estimate 1/2 teaspoon. I will have to grow kale and measure before dehydrating and after dehydrating and powdering.
Aren’t onions,kale, brocolli and cauliflower sulfurous veggies as well? Roasted with olive oil or sautéed is delicious and through them in a soup. Soup is my favorite because you can make a big batch store in Tupperware In fridge and eat all week or store small batches in freezer ziplocks, thaw in ziplock in cold water in kitchen sink and eat all month.

Lovefamof7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My other project for today is deciding a way to consume 2 - 3 cups of colorful vegetables per day. My plan is to make pureed soups. I made a soup tonight with squash, tomato puree, and carrot puree. All from my garden! Added some beef bouillon and spices. I ate 2 cups of soup for supper, meeting my colorful vegetable requirement for the first time. :) I can vary the ingredients with each batch and hide all sorts of things in it. beets and sweet potatoes are on my list to try.

If I'm really struggling with organ meat, my plan B is to make meat "slurry" and hide it in my soup. Otherwise, my supper plan is soup and a little meat pie. :D

I still have one more veggie category to conquer: sulfurous. That's brassicas, alliums, and mushrooms. I'll be putting onion and garlic in everything until I come up with a plan for these. I'm not fond of brassicas and can't imagine eating 2 - 3 cups of them every day!
What are in this category? I’ve never seen that word I don’t think 🧐

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Aren’t onions,kale, brocolli and cauliflower sulfurous veggies as well? Roasted with olive oil or sautéed is delicious and through them in a soup. Soup is my favorite because you can make a big batch store in Tupperware In fridge and eat all week or store small batches in freezer ziplocks, thaw in ziplock in cold water in kitchen sink and eat all month.
Yes, those are sulferous! Onions and garlic are extra potent!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Lately I've been making a big pot of "spaghetti sauce" and eating it as soup/stew. It hits my nutrition goals and it's delicious. I've been eating it for months, sometimes 3 meals/day.

My recipe is

1 quart bone broth (or 2 c water). When I use bone broth I cook it down to reduce to 2 c

1 head of celery. (2-3 if they're small)

2-4 onions

4-8 cloves garlic

5-10oz spinach

8 oz mushrooms

3 bell peppers

2 28oz cans crushed tomatos (Cento or Pomi brands - no additives)

1-2oz clean/uncured pepperoni (if you omit this, add salt and spices)

1 stick butter or 8 T ghee (optional, but delicious)

Generous basil, maybe 2T? I don't measure

Sometimes I'll add meat. Sometimes cream (2T per cup serving).

Sometimes I chop ingredients by hand for a chunky sauce/soup. Sometimes I am lazy and use a food processor which gives a smoother texture. Sometimes I blend it smooth and use it as pizza sauce

If I get bored, I omit pepperoni and basil - and add navy beans and chili powder. My kids like this version best.