Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's no food in my house. Just ingredients. :hit
i feel like this most days. just spent over $200 at Aldi's today and I still don't know what to make for dinner the next couple days. they had most things, but the prices had really gone up since July. We only go there twice a year to stock up on staples. Chicken wings were $12 for one of the small plastic trays :(

Edit--but I got fresh cranberries for $.99 a bag! lots of produce--so I can get all my colors for my Wahls Protocol/AIP blended lifestyle here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i feel like this most days. just spent over $200 at Aldi's today and I still don't know what to make for dinner the next couple days. they had most things, but the prices had really gone up since July. We only go there twice a year to stock up on staples. Chicken wings were $12 for one of the small plastic trays :(

Edit--but I got fresh cranberries for $.99 a bag! lots of produce--so I can get all my colors for my Wahls Protocol/AIP blended lifestyle here.
I bought cranberries too. 4 bags. IDK what to make with them. I used to use them for desserts. I have dehydrated them, so I might do that.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought cranberries too. 4 bags. IDK what to make with them. I used to use them for desserts. I have dehydrated them, so I might do that.
I am going to use some fresh in smoothies, try and find a vinegrette recipe without too much sugar and then freeze some for later.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was able to get back to the discount grocery store today. A lot of their inventory turns over quickly. Good to know!

6 MASSIVE grapefruits $0.69 each 😍 for DS14
6 apples for $1 total
2 celery $.99 each
Potatoes... i didnt check the price
Watermelon $2.99
Raspberries and blueberries for DS6 - he ate them all in the car and asked for more 🙄

3 jars organic marinara, no natural flavor or sugar/sweetener added 🙌 $2.29 each. Picked these for an easy meal.

6 rolls braunschweiger $1.99 each - they are for dog treats 😅

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Also got to the Mennonite bulk food country store. I love these places!

Two 1/2 gallon glass jars of creamline A2 milk. 😍

2 pounds butter $2.49 each

1 dozen ungraded eggs. The local grocery store got eggs from the same farm during 2020 COVID shortages and I liked them.

6 packs Necco wafers for gingerbread house roofs

3 cookie cutters - small dog bone shape, a "cloud" for gingerbread bushes/trees, and a "unicorn horn" for gingerbread trees.

Edited to add: also about 5# diced frozen onion. I love having pre-cut frozen onion on-hand but it's usually too expensive to justify the convenience. $12.78

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH harvested 3 [grassfed] lambs. 2 for our freezer, one for another family. DS14 and I cleaned and froze cubed lung, sliced liver, and kidney halves. I'm excited to have some quality organ meat for "free." Less excited to eat it. :gig I'm happy to be able to get vitamin A without paying $30 per bottle of liver capsules.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What are your lamb weights (an average/guesstimate) this time of year?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What are your lamb weights (an average/guesstimate) this time of year?
Ours usually get split into 2 groups at auction by average weight. Usually about 80 pounds and over 100 pounds. One that was harvested was smaller - it was the last lamb born and we forgot to tail band and castrate. Whoops!

Lovefamof7

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My other project for today is deciding a way to consume 2 - 3 cups of colorful vegetables per day. My plan is to make pureed soups. I made a soup tonight with squash, tomato puree, and carrot puree. All from my garden! Added some beef bouillon and spices. I ate 2 cups of soup for supper, meeting my colorful vegetable requirement for the first time. :) I can vary the ingredients with each batch and hide all sorts of things in it. beets and sweet potatoes are on my list to try.

If I'm really struggling with organ meat, my plan B is to make meat "slurry" and hide it in my soup. Otherwise, my supper plan is soup and a little meat pie. :D

I still have one more veggie category to conquer: sulfurous. That's brassicas, alliums, and mushrooms. I'll be putting onion and garlic in everything until I come up with a plan for these. I'm not fond of brassicas and can't imagine eating 2 - 3 cups of them every day!
I tried “hiding” organ meats and sometimes they just ruin the smell and tast of the whole meal. I heard one just quickly swallow small frozen chunks? If that’s helpful. I found the best way for me to eat liver is tiny pieces sautéed drenched in bbq sauce to cover chalky strangeness. You can totally make grain free dough from coconut, almond, cauliflower, quinoa, flax, etc. Flour- Minimalist Baker is a great site or just google cauliflower crust for pie or something 👍🏻

Latest posts