Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you are getting the foods you need and are able to make some "sweets" to enjoy.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Geeze Tortoise - I can't even imagine having all those food aversions. My problem is I have NO food aversions! I'll eat practically anything - well maybe anything except liver soup, lol! That would have to be the do-all, end-all of things that just don't sound so appetizing. I would loved to have seen the expression on your face @flowerbug when you tasted it the first time!

*shudder*...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug you reminded me of something else I will be doing differently. I had genetic testing done this past summer and learned that I'm predisposed to not being able to remove mercury efficiently. I don't plan to eat fish regularly since learning this. I need to find an algae omega 3 supplement though.

eating lower on the food chain will avoid some of the mercury contamination. that is why small sardines are pretty good food source - unlike tuna or larger fish... you can source cleaner fish. unfortunately down here where i am the waters are not really that great as compared to where i was up north so i don't fish or eat local river fish, but further up north local fish may be ok. check with your local DNR people about what they say are the cleaner rivers and fish sources.

actually i don't know where you are at or your access to fish/rivers for fishing and such so forget my comment about "up north" - i got you confused with someone else. :)

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Progress
  • I fried up corn tortillas into tortilla chips this morning. I'm very pleased with the results and losing the concern/guilt over consuming inflammatory vegetable oils with my creamed spinach dip
  • Bone broth cooking every day. I boil for 8 hours (after the first 24 hours) and then scoop out the broth to freeze and add water and repeat the next day. Building a freezer stash of the good stuff 😍
  • I tried added chopped broccoli sprouts into my spinach dip and it's fine / tolerable. Very happy since growing/preparing broccoli sprouts for sulforaphane content is easy enough, but making it palatable is harder. However, I'm only getting 1/4 - 1/2 of the recommended daily dose this way.
Next steps
  • make mayonnaise with olive and avocado oil (again with avoiding the inflammatory vegetable oils). I will use this for making coleslaw dressing. I felt good when I was eating a cup of broccoli slaw per day. I have the slaw, but need to make dressing for it.
  • Try to grow spinach indoors. $30/week on organic spinach is killing my budget. $3.99 per 5 oz, 8 per week I'm spending as much money on spinach now as my TOTAL grocery budget 3 years ago. 😱😫 Microgreens would be fine, and adding sprouts would help too. I don't even know if I have any garden seed left. DS12 did NOT actually clean out my greenhouse when told to, and DH took the roof panels off for winter because they aren't strong enough to tolerate snow. Results: 6" of rainwater in the tub full of seed. Hundreds of dollars worth of Baker Creek seed.... gone. 😱😓😭
  • Buy arugula seed for sprouting since sprouting arugula and broccoli together increases the sulforaphane content.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
for sure that would be a big loss.

as far as budget and veggies, can you get old reject veggies from the stores that they're throwing away? a lot of times they might throw away things that people can use if they're not too picky (brocoli stems, etc. are good eating when peeled and the scraps make good compost or other animal food).
Years ago, yes. Unless the store is a small locally owned place, the chains won't touch the potential liability with a ten foot pole. Years ago, I worked in a produce department

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Years ago, yes. Unless the store is a small locally owned place, the chains won't touch the potential liability with a ten foot pole. Years ago, I worked in a produce department

that'd be too bad and a shame to have things go to waste, but the larger places might already have an arrangement with someone to haul it away.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Progress
  • I sorted through the box of soaked seed. I didn't have the heart to do it before, but it's about time to order garden seed so I couldn't put it off much longer. There were a few packets that seemed okay, or less than half sprouted. I dumped them onto trays to see if I can get some microgreens out of them. I am SURE I have a bag of leafy green seeds somewhere, but couldn't find them this morning.
  • Still cooking/freezing bone broth.
  • Made a grocery shopping list, but waiting until the snow stops
  • DH used broccoli slaw for veggies in stir fry! Brilliant and easy! Definitely worth repeating.
Next steps
  • Order seed. At least need to get arugula, spinach, chard seed. I'm going to look into bulk seed by the pound this year. Packets get expensive!
  • Grocery shopping! I am out of spinach again! 😫
  • Cook creamed spinach
  • Rinse and chop broccoli sprouts

Current diet:
  • 1-1/2 cup blueberries + 1/2 cup other berries + cream + erythritol
  • 1/2 pound spinach (measured raw) + 1/2 cup cream (before reducing) + salt + home-fried corn tortilla chips
  • 1 cup bone broth
  • 1 cup broccoli slaw, either as coleslaw or stir fry
  • If still hungry, also carrots + homemade hummus

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm fine with small portions of legumes. Some of them give me a bellyache because of FODMAPs. Hummus give me a bellyache if I eat more than 1/4 cup per day or so.

I would be happy to receive bean seed! I haven't found one that does well here AND tastes good to me.

I talked to a sorta-friend (one of DH's employees but the sort of person I could genuinely be friends with anyway. She mentioned her parents grow and can swiss chard. I grew some a couple years ago but didn't can any. I think that would help a lot with the cost of leafy greens in winter! I'm cooking the spinach et al down anyway, so canning would work out just fine.