Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like fried chicken liver and find them quite inexpensive to buy. Calf liver, fried and smothered with onion..for me it's great!! Then, liver can be made into a pate to use on crackers, etc. You know duck pate is a delicacy. Just ideas.

Dehydrated kale can be ground into power to add to soups, casseroles, smoothies, etc. Probably would not notice much taste wise but, got the volume. Spinach in bacon grease. YUM. You can also grill brussel sprouts...or oven broil. They caramelize, add crushed bacon and OMG. :drool Cole slaw? Sauerkraut? Try them and decide if it's for you.

So, because the author has allergies, doesn't mean it isn't still good and workable for YOU. Personally, no dairy would not make me happy. Depending on the outcome, maybe a little, as you say. Grain is mostly breads -- you can get flours that are not. Just $$$$.

I think you have time to plan this now. :clap Just hope it WORKS for your health, after all the work to get it implemented. Guess you have a couple months before planting season to find out. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thanks @Mini Horses ! Those are great ideas! Especially the coleslaw! I forgot that I like it :D oh, and I like broccoli "slaw" too. I can pick those up next time I'm shopping.

I have dehydrated kale - ground to powder even. I wonder how much powder equals a cup of fresh kale? It couldn't be much! I will need to calculate and try hiding it.

I have never tried pate. It scares me. LOL

I have a ridiculous amount of bacon fat saved in my fridge. I will have to skip the salads and cook up some spinach like that one of these days. Sometimes when DH isn't home so I don't have to share. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, FEM, YES!!! Sometimes I shred carrots in it, too. When no carrots I tend to get a touch heavy with the course ground pepper...adds a little "hot" to it. In fact, I've been known to make that a meal. :D You can throw a couple tomatoes in it, too.

Let' empty the frig into it!! Slices of sausage, etc.

Heck, I'm hungry from suggestions.

You know, Tortoise, throw some greens into an egg when scrambling is another good way to get more into you. The sky is the limit.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have added can of tomatoes and peppers before - forgot about that. And, we have put sausage in it too - sliced link and breakfast sausage when I didn't have bacon.

@tortoise could put some of that powdered kale into eggs and have green eggs (and ham) lol!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm working on that organ meat thing today. I ground store-bought chicken liver with home-butchered gizzard and onion. Yield was about 3 pounds before cooking. I added 1 T of kale powder and 1 T of parsley, and seasoned salt. I haven't tasted it yet! :p I expect to get about 21 2-ounce servings out of this batch. I was planning to make it into little meat pies because I have premade pie crust in the freezer but I'm getting lazy feeling now. I might just put it in my soup. Pie crust isn't WPP-compliant, but it sure sounded good! :p

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can incorporate the organ meats into sausage. A couple of sausage patties a day ought to do it. Or crumble the sausage into soups or orther dishes.
Frozen spinach-make a frittata. It's basically a flat omlette baked in the oven. You can put a lot of the veggies in a frittata.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found canned wild caught Alaskan salmon at ALDI! I forgot the price already but it was about half of the price at the grocery store. Winning!

@baymule is a frittata like a not-fluffy-fussy quiche? That sounds like my style! I'll be needing more eggy recipes before spring!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
To make a frittata;
Crack how many eggs you want, start with 1-2. Beat with a fork.
Prepare the veggies you want to put in it. the frozen spinach is good to use here, squeeze the water out.
You can use cooked meats also, chop in small pieces
Heat a skillet, oil the bottom.
Pour beaten eggs in the skillet, put in the veggies, meat, you can top with grated cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees until the sides are bubbly or a clean knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cut in pie wedges.

A frittata makes a great quick supper for the family too, just make a bigger one.