Wahls Protocol Diet (on a budget)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i could easily live off hummus. :) we eat a lot of carrots here too. i love cole slaw but only try to have it once in a while because i'm the only one who eats it. i don't mind if it gets a little cooked with either if i need to put it in with some beans or something to warm it all up.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No wonder you're losing weight!! Wish I had your will power.

It's so decadent though with the cream 🤤😍 I don't feel like I'm missing anything (except money! 😫😱 ) I'm a creature of habit, so I'm loving the routine. Loving not having GI distress. I've been consistent on food for 8 days. 🥳

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how do you do with beans in general? if hummus is ok? there is so much variety in beans alone, and peas too, i love peas, lentils, ... i grow a lot of different kinds of beans and for sure would be happy to send you plenty to plant to try to grow for the next season (i am a bean enabler). :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm fine with small portions of legumes. Some of them give me a bellyache because of FODMAPs. Hummus give me a bellyache if I eat more than 1/4 cup per day or so.

I would be happy to receive bean seed! I haven't found one that does well here AND tastes good to me.

I talked to a sorta-friend (one of DH's employees but the sort of person I could genuinely be friends with anyway. She mentioned her parents grow and can swiss chard. I grew some a couple years ago but didn't can any. I think that would help a lot with the cost of leafy greens in winter! I'm cooking the spinach et al down anyway, so canning would work out just fine.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm fine with small portions of legumes. Some of them give me a bellyache because of FODMAPs. Hummus give me a bellyache if I eat more than 1/4 cup per day or so.

I would be happy to receive bean seed! I haven't found one that does well here AND tastes good to me.

I talked to a sorta-friend (one of DH's employees but the sort of person I could genuinely be friends with anyway. She mentioned her parents grow and can swiss chard. I grew some a couple years ago but didn't can any. I think that would help a lot with the cost of leafy greens in winter! I'm cooking the spinach et al down anyway, so canning would work out just fine.

fresh beans are ok?

i have one that works as both fresh and dry bean well. finishes early so may work for you.

PM me your address and i'll send you a sample.

i also have to say that while gas can be an issue (pun intendoed) you can usually get used to it and build up the microbes in your GI so that it's not horrid. build up gradually instead of having a lot all at once. also avoid spicing and fats when cooking them so you can use them as filler in other things. i try to keep a few quarts in the fridge and just toss them in with other things as good filler and fiber (which my body really appreciates). also they can be substituted for things like cheese for about half the calories so they help with dieting too. 100 calories a day difference works out to about a lb a month without really even trying too hard. also cheap to grow and good food when you have fresh beans plus also the dry beans. sorry, i can go on a lot about beans, but they're way up there on my favorites. :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
canned cooked chard and spinach will be good if you like them cooked to begin with, beet greens too can be cooked. have you ever tried turnip greens or mustard greens or of course the collards and kales? turnips are pretty easy to grow. i like a lot of greens but don't grow them often here because Mom won't touch 'em and i'd rather use the space for things we both do eat (beans and peas).

you'll need to pressure can them (just in case you didn't know that already).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought a high-power blender and it has been the best thing ever for me in terms of nutrition. I've gone dairy-free now.

The local grocery store sells past-date produce marked down cheap. I try to stop in a few times each week. This week I got

3 - 8 oz bags of spinach
2 bags of broccoli slaw
6 containers of cut melon and pineapple
5 pounds of organic carrots / baby carrots
4 pounds of apples.

About $74 worth of produce for $18. Not bad. 🥳

I cooked the spinach and blended into puree, froze in 1 Tablespoon cubes (equivalent to 1/2 cup raw spinach)

1 bag of broccoli slaw added to coleslaw. The other bag likely for stir fry.

I froze some of the melon for smoothies, but my kids ate most of it.

I cooked the carrots for smoothies, and froze some of them.

My kids ate the apples.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love bargains like that! None of the grocery stores here do that.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yesterday, my haul included 9 heads of cauliflower for $0.99 each (regular price $4.99). I steam it, rice it, and freeze in 1/2 cup cubes to use in my iced mocha smoothies. 😍

Also overripe bananas, a pint of sad winter strawberries, cut veggies,3 bags peeled garlic. The garlic is a bit of a gamble, not sure I'll use it. Might pickle some of it? IDK who eats that except my ex-husband. He might get pickled garlic for Christmas, LOL.