Wannabefree...guess what I got in the mail today!?!?!?!?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Two things...

ACORNS? You get money for ACORNS? OMgosh, then I'll be rich! There are acorns all over my 7 acres - California oaks. Infact, I have some Indian grinding rocks on my property, where the Miwoks used to grind the acorns and made deep round holes. Pray tell me how to make money on these darn acorns!!

Secondly, your story about your car brought a smile to my face. I too, had a car like that. A '73 super beetle. I had it for 11 years, over 150K miles, and I sold it for just about the same price that my dad paid for it in '73. It was a wonderful car, and I was able to learn how to do much of the work myself.

Acorns??????? :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Two things...

ACORNS? You get money for ACORNS? OMgosh, then I'll be rich! There are acorns all over my 7 acres - California oaks. Infact, I have some Indian grinding rocks on my property, where the Miwoks used to grind the acorns and made deep round holes. Pray tell me how to make money on these darn acorns!!

Secondly, your story about your car brought a smile to my face. I too, had a car like that. A '73 super beetle. I had it for 11 years, over 150K miles, and I sold it for just about the same price that my dad paid for it in '73. It was a wonderful car, and I was able to learn how to do much of the work myself.

Acorns??????? :hu
:lol: Acorns. White Oak Acorns to be precise. Deer crack!! They are used as a bait or attractant up in the northern states this time of year. I sell wholesale to a guy who makes a feed mix as homemade organic attractant. Stumbled upon this guy last year. Shipped a couple tons of acorns northward for a pretty penny ;) Do a little research. You can sell most anything, and selling free stuff from the land you are planted on is about as SS as one might hope to get. Each tree drops around 200 pounds per year for a mature tree as far as I can tell from what we picked off of 20 something trees last year. :) White Oaks only grow in the Eastern United States though. There may be other uses for yours. They can be ground and used as meal once you get the bitter tannins flushed out. I guess considering the indians had a setup to grind things, they likely used them in your area. :hu

Those indian grinding rocks must be something...pics? I'd LOVE to see those! Oh, and acorns..if you have too many...no such thing as too many ;) fatten a hog on them. I've heard it's delish, and will be doing so next year myself.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's a wet rainy dark day here. I took the pupmutt to the park today though. She chased sweet gum balls and harassed a squirrel or two. I have been unproductive. I have to take the pupmutt back to the vet for wormer :rolleyes: I was supposed to work a bit today, but rain has prevented that, so I have started on laundry instead. I did get a couple shipments sent out this morning, but the afternoon has been pretty much blah and I can't quit yawning!! I dislike days like this where all I want to do is sleep because it still looks like 6:30 a.m. outside my windows. *sigh* Tomorrow is supposed to be sunshiney...let's hope!!!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Maybe this story can help some of those of you who are struggling to make ends meet in this shabby economy.

Acorns, I guess I can't say they were a means to SS initially. We were out of work, behind on the mortgage, and bordering desperation on how to pay our bills. I prayed about how to get the money. We had yard sales and sold $600 at one, and a few hndred at another. Non sustaining income though. Sooo, I continued to pray for an answer to our dilemma. I got on Ebay one day to search for arts and crafts items that were selling to see what I may have available around the place to attempt to make a little cash to try to get some things caught up, and lo and behold...there they were, and selling at a fairly decent price...acorns, and hickory nuts. I soon figured out acorns were much more plentiful and started gathering both immediately. I also figured out there was a specific type of acorn folks wanted...White Oak. So, I collected and at the end of the week I listed an auction up for sale. I sold a box of 15 pounds for about $15 plus shipping. Score!! Right?...well not really. I was approached by a person wanting 500+ pounds and was willing to pay half what I had just made, but in BULK....so I weighed my options while buying some time with the "I'll see what I can get" excuse to the guy wanting bulk. Well, shipment made it and I got a complaint from the buyer about bugs...um...they're acorns...some will have weevils in them...thought everybody knew that. She wasn't pleased, so I refunded her money. People also did not want "dirty" or sprouted acorns when buying in small quantities. In the end, I decided the guy buying bulk was a much better deal! First off...they were for deer, and this guy knows about the weevils and doesn't care...no sissy ewww they're dirty tree nuts issues there. It also did not matter if some were sprouted because some were to be ground up anyway which would be the sprouted acorns. I also would not have to ship in small boxes, run to the P.O. 20 times a week or worry about under selling my supply and them rotting. SOOOOO, that was where I decided to take my new found side job. Granted, it is very seasonal work, but I only work a few hours every morning in the woods to get what I need to create a steady flow of income for the Fall. I will never get rich from selling them. I will never ask for more money than I am currently selling them for. I enjoy what I do, the money is fine, and the business relationship has been a blessing. I have found more and more items to sell to make money off my own land. THAT makes me feel good! SO, that being said...God has blessed our family with an answered prayer, and though we do not particularly need the money right now, He has continued to bless me with something I like to do and some extra money I guess just because He loves me :)

WHICH brings me to another point that has been weighing on my mind today. "Self Sufficiency" The term Self Sufficiency to me...is just that...a term. It is not what I truly believe in, it is just a means to be a good steward of what God has given me. If I were so "self sufficient" I would be implying that I have no need of God or His blessings, and that is just not true. Just sayin' I have to give credit where credit is due. I'm too dumb by myself to figure some of these things out :lol: I have an awesome Daddy that looks out for me though, and never fails to point me in the direction I need to be facing ;) All those months of being behind...I was rarely stressed, never hungry, and always thankful for what I had. Sometimes sufficiency doesn't come from self...sometimes it's other sources. I can't make acorns...it must've been a blessing ;)

2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God.
Well put.

I searched eBay for calif oak acorns. No call for them out here! LOL! But your post has my brain whirling, to figure out a way to make some pocket change. Pocket change won't pay the mortgage, but can buy groceries and stuff. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Um try pine cones. There are some tiny little pine cones that sell great around Christmas for crafts/decor. Also, if you can find mesquite or any kind of apple wood, pear wood, hickory wood, etc. that folks use for smoking meat...it's a decent seller as well. It depends on the rarity of the wood how much it will go for. Pecan is relatively expensive ;) Check into some of that and see where you can take it. i know a few who make a really good living doing that, but they have LOTS of acreage! I don't...or that would be my full time job!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well so much for working very much this week..I've got a heckuva head cold. We had tornadoes yesterday and last Sunday. My cousins place got torn up Sunday from the storm. Silo fell on the kids bedrooms, thankfully, no one was hurt, but it knocked the end out of their home so they are staying at the in-laws. Today I have planned to make a few loaves of bread and do a bit of yard work if I can drag myself out there. I may touch on some house work as well. I did get a good bit done Monday, so the week isn't a total loss. I got my weekly shipments done Monday morning too. I never did get my bible study done yesterday...first time in ages I haven't done that :( I hate being sick...it makes me think of school and knowing you have all that "make up work" to look forward to...is just kinda depressing :lol: It is what it is though and I will get it all done eventually. I guess I'm just not feeling very accomplished this week, and that annoys me.

On a much brighter note...I candled eggs yesterday and they are looking GOOD. I only had to toss 3. They go on lockdown Nov. 1st. I also have some Marans eggs coming by the end of the week!! I have another shipment to go out next week, and the girls are still laying pretty steady for me! I plan on hatching through the winter this year...just because...it gives me something to do to stay busy. :)

Going to do my bible study now like a good girl :D .....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Maybe you have said this before, but what kind of Marans do you have?

I am fairly new to them but I am impressed. I really liked the ones I have had already and would eventually like to have a whole flock of them when I have the space.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Maybe you have said this before, but what kind of Marans do you have?

I am fairly new to them but I am impressed. I really liked the ones I have had already and would eventually like to have a whole flock of them when I have the space.
They will be French Black Copper Marans I believe. I'm just getting into them for a future meat project, and some dark eggs ;) I did a trade for these eggs, and am expecting them by the end of the week. Maybe by next summer I'll have enough to swap some eggs with you :) I have EE's, Ameracaunas, Delaware's, and Production Red's I got for a sex link project, along with 3 Buff Orpington hens. The only breeds I intend on keeping pure is the Ameracaunas, Delaware's, and Marans for now. The EE's and others will just be my layers and project birds.