Wannabefree...guess what I got in the mail today!?!?!?!?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I'd save the name Clyde for in case you get a buck later, if you're not going to keep this one. If you do, you'd have to wether him and you still won't have a buck for breeding. That said ... I kept a wether I'd planned to send to freezer camp when I DID get a buck, and he needed a buddy of his own.

I love the Irish names ... so pretty.

Loved picking out names for mine. I took a lot of time and each one had to fit their personality or something about them. :)
I usually don't have any trouble with naming mine. Guess I need to be around them a bit before anything is made official, but I DO love the name Dakota for the doeling.

I am hesitant to name the buckling really, because I plan on him not being here by the end of next month........if I name him...it's easier to get attached :hide

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Guess I need to be around them a bit before anything is made official, but I DO love the name Dakota for the doeling.

I am hesitant to name the buckling really, because I plan on him not being here by the end of next month........if I name him...it's easier to get attached :hide
:) for Dakota

And I know what you mean about the naming. *IF* I name an animal that is to be sold or sent to freezer camp, it's usually something like "Barbecue". But yes, and especially with goats, they learn their names too. Makes them that much more like pets.

I'm glad I kept my little wether (well, ok, BIG wether .. he's my biggest goat, LOL) ... but he's such a sweetie. And he was a total wild child that screamed all the way to the trailer when I got him. And I think the naming made it more important that I keep him, so I know what ya mean!

I'm starting to wonder after almost a year with them if I can actually *eat* goats. I mean, I like barbecued goat, but that was always from goats I didn't personally know!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have a problem eating them. I know what their purpose is. Not to say that if I get attached to one that I could eat THAT one, but I usually only have one of each kind of animal that I get that attached to at all. I only like one of my chickens, one of my ducks, and one of my turkeys so far :lol: The last goats we had...there were two that I liked that well. Both does, so that worked out well. My buck then, was a flamin idiot :lol: I named him Truck...and he might have had as much sense as a truck tire. He was gentle though for the most part until it came down to hoof trimming. He's the one I always had to wrestle down and hold to trim :rolleyes: Big Momma and Daisy though...were MY babies :love I miss those mutt girls!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I have no problem eating the rabbits or roosters, at least. I don't name the bunnies. Or the roosters except my two favorites I plan to keep. They don't know their names anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Guess I'm just attached to all four of my goat babies. However ... the one mama I was thinking seriously about eating, if she never did work out. She was probably worth more as a milker, but ... it isn't really fair to sell of your problem animals. (Never could get her free of worms, and her temperament was horrible and had tiny teats.) She was only a yearling and a FF, so I was going to giver her another year to decide.

But my baby goaties I guess it's hard to imagine eating, at least outside of an emergency situation. I let myself get attached, since I didn't plan that for them. :)

I had planned all my geese for breeders though ... and I must admit I've been eyeing them lately. Kinda like that cartoon where the one is getting hungry and sees a ham when he looks at the other guy. They are starting to look like roasted goose on the hoof, LOL.

Must wait till this years' babies. I HOPE I get babies this year!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've actually never had goat meat. :hu

I did have a squirrel I rehabbed and before I let that litle sucker go I thought hard about just frying his little butt up and eating him in the middle of a biscuit!! He LOVED to bite the crap outta me! Mean little snot :somad I let him go in the backyard and now he throws hickory nuts at me....STILL thinking about eating that ungrateful brat!! :lol:

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I did have a squirrel I rehabbed and before I let that litle sucker go I thought hard about just frying his little butt up and eating him in the middle of a biscuit!! He LOVED to bite the crap outta me! Mean little snot :somad I let him go in the backyard and now he throws hickory nuts at me....STILL thinking about eating that ungrateful brat!! :lol:
That made me LOL!

I've got a few squirrels around here I could put in a biscuit. They are eating into the soffit of the house and getting into the attic space.

Yup, maybe you shoulda ate him. No respect or thanks at all, huh?

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I don't think I'd have a problem eating them. I know what their purpose is. Not to say that if I get attached to one that I could eat THAT one, but I usually only have one of each kind of animal that I get that attached to at all. I only like one of my chickens, one of my ducks, and one of my turkeys so far :lol: The last goats we had...there were two that I liked that well. Both does, so that worked out well. My buck then, was a flamin idiot :lol: I named him Truck...and he might have had as much sense as a truck tire. He was gentle though for the most part until it came down to hoof trimming. He's the one I always had to wrestle down and hold to trim :rolleyes: Big Momma and Daisy though...were MY babies :love I miss those mutt girls!
That's hilarious. I currently have a pair of does nicknamed Mama and Daisy because their registered names were awful.