Warning!! Don't bother opening if you're not of the Christian Faith:>)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not going to join in this debate in any real way, because it would take up far too much of my time and energy, and it tends to be a very sensitive subject.

But I would like to make sure we distinguish evolution from the origin of the universe. It is true that nobody is certain that evolution caused the start of life. Theories abound in that department, and even hard scientists have been known to think it started with God.

But evolution itself, apart from the origin business, is not at all in dispute, and is not theory but fact. It has been observed in action many times, and is quite obvious to anyone studying the data:

For instance, human beings were about 10% resistant to the Bubonic Plague when it came around. The people who survived went on to reproduce, and now the human species has evolved to be mostly resistant to the plague.

Or, how about this one: taller men have generally been seen as more attractive, probably due to the primal instincts that women want men who will be able to defend, hunt, etc... Because of this, taller men have had more children (being more sexually desirable) than shorter men, and thus the gene pool has become more and more tall. You can see this even in the last 50 years, as the human species has evolved to be taller than it previously was.

In any case, there are billions more examples like that from the animal, plant, fungus, and bacterial kingdoms too. But I just want to make sure we don't mistake Evolution for a story about the creation of the world. Evolution is proven, observed, actual fact. The creation of life and the world... less known.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
I'm not going to join in this debate in any real way, because it would take up far too much of my time and energy, and it tends to be a very sensitive subject.

But I would like to make sure we distinguish evolution from the origin of the universe. It is true that nobody is certain that evolution caused the start of life. Theories abound in that department, and even hard scientists have been known to think it started with God.

But evolution itself, apart from the origin business, is not at all in dispute, and is not theory but fact. It has been observed in action many times, and is quite obvious to anyone studying the data:

For instance, human beings were about 10% resistant to the Bubonic Plague when it came around. The people who survived went on to reproduce, and now the human species has evolved to be mostly resistant to the plague.

Or, how about this one: taller men have generally been seen as more attractive, probably due to the primal instincts that women want men who will be able to defend, hunt, etc... Because of this, taller men have had more children (being more sexually desirable) than shorter men, and thus the gene pool has become more and more tall. You can see this even in the last 50 years, as the human species has evolved to be taller than it previously was.

In any case, there are billions more examples like that from the animal, plant, fungus, and bacterial kingdoms too. But I just want to make sure we don't mistake Evolution for a story about the creation of the world. Evolution is proven, observed, actual fact. The creation of life and the world... less known.
Precisely.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just don't think we evolved from monkeys. Or chimps, or gorillas.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To be accurate, nobody believes that. The evidence is that both gorillas and us evolved from a common ancestor that was neither human nor gorilla. Evolution went in two different directions from there... one of them gorilla-ish and hairy and less intelligent, one of them hairless, intelligent, and prone to posting on message boards.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I don't believe that either! I believe in Genesis! Thanks for the info, though.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
To be accurate, nobody believes that. The evidence is that both gorillas and us evolved from a common ancestor that was neither human nor gorilla. Evolution went in two different directions from there... one of them gorilla-ish and hairy and less intelligent, one of them hairless, intelligent, and prone to posting on message boards.
:yuckyuck

lol you'd think in all my years of schooling i'd of thought of that, just shows alabamas teaching of evolution

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
How do you explain Ron Jeremy?:lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can see this thread could get a little heated if we let it....

Noone is going to be swayed or changed to another's viewpoint about these things, I'm sure, and this post did come with a warning. I'm sure that warning was so that people who didn't believe in Christianity could avoid the post if they didn't want to hear Christians discussing their beliefs.

I think that was a very courteous thing to do and I hope that folks will respect that. If someone posted a warning about evolution with a warning worded in this manner, I might read the post, but I probably wouldn't comment on it....it obviously wasn't meant for my consumption and therefore, has no bearing on my life. I would benefit nothing by negating their beliefs or a discussion thereof.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I can see this thread could get a little heated if we let it....

Noone is going to be swayed or changed to another's viewpoint about these things, I'm sure, and this post did come with a warning. I'm sure that warning was so that people who didn't believe in Christianity could avoid the post if they didn't want to hear Christians discussing their beliefs.

I think that was a very courteous thing to do and I hope that folks will respect that. If someone posted a warning about evolution with a warning worded in this manner, I might read the post, but I probably wouldn't comment on it....it obviously wasn't meant for my consumption and therefore, has no bearing on my life. I would benefit nothing by negating their beliefs or a discussion thereof.
A discussion does not go very far if everyone parrots the same beliefs. I don't want to sway anyone nor am I offended. It could get a little heated but we are all adults so the best we could do is agree to disagree and not get upset.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So are you just playing devil's advocate? Because the good book says God created Adam...

Status
Not open for further replies.