Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
k15n1 said:
Toulle said:
Water for what purpose?
Drinking and cooking.

Toulle said:
Some people around here use these 275 gallon totes to store rainwater for gardening. Some get those that can hold potable water. I got two of them for free, currently being stored elsewhere. Google "275 gallon water tote" if you need examples
Looks like these are quite expensive if you buy new. But used, they're 150 or so. At least, according to the interwebs. That's 0.54 $/gal.
I know that prices vary by location, but around here those used 275 gallon totes can be had in the neighborhood of $40 to $75. Keep in mind that some of them have had things in them, that no amount of cleaning would make me trust their safety. But for non-potable water their hard to beat. I was lucky and located three 375 gallon totes. They had held iron oxide, which is used in dyes and is generally accepted as safe, but I don't use them for potable water. When it comes to your families health, whatever I chose, I'd purchase new if possible. YMMV

Edited to add: Craigslist can be a good source of totes and other items. If you use SearchTempest.com, you can define a search radius, and it will give you all of the hits on Craigslist sites within that area. It makes finding things a lot easier.
Indeed, I found several listed locally for 40-75 $. I'm surprised at their availability. Better than 55-gal barrels.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I spoke with a chemist at length about water storage. He suggested using any food-grade plastic container, but washing it out with 20-proof solution of ethanol and clean water. Several washes, then 5-7 rinses with clean water. Or you can leave water in the container for several months, which will leach out everything that is going to leach out. Discard that water, rinse, and refill with the water you're going to store.

He also suggested, for long-term storage, pre treating the water with chlorine bleach. He assured me that bleach does not age badly as long as it is stored properly (air-tight container in a cool dark place). I had read that bleach could be much less effective within a year and that amounts in sterilization recipes had to be doubled. The same source (which I didn't bookmark, unfortunately) suggested throwing out bleach after 2 years. The chemist, though, tells me that it is good for 10-15 years if it's stored properly.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"Or you can leave water in the container for several months, which will leach out everything that is going to leach out. Discard that water, rinse, and refill with the water you're going to store. "

Looks like I should be changing out my water storage.

g

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Reviving the water tote thread!! We have 2 now, a 275 and a 350....currently getting a cleaning and soaking with rainwater and ..shoot, I forgot what it was called. Well, anyway....now looking into finding fittings for the outlet valves. We want to be able to use the water in them for everything BUT drinking water. Right now, I use the other rain barrels for garden/plants ....laundry, and washing the chicken coop out. I also washed the pick up truck one time. But, well water.....drinking, bathing, cooking, hygiene needs. As we cannot route or use the rainwater into the hot water tank. We have a composite shingle roof. So, the rainwater is filtered, but not pristine.
I want to be able to set up a tote for flushing water, for the toilet. That, has yet to be designed.
We went to rainwater catchment because since moving here in 2010, our well dropped too low twice. SC is in a drought...has been for over 10 yrs now.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm glad you revived the thread, moxie. Got me thinking again, and I guess I had missed the last few posts from K15n1. Interesting stuff.

I now have access to a bunch of 275 gallon containers. I have one designated for rain catchment (sure wished we would have got that one placed and plumbed before the snow and ice hit).

I won't store water for flushing (composting toilet instead), but storing for spit baths, etc is plausable.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Moxie I know about that drought down there all too well, my parents are just over the line in NC and it is TERRIBLE. It has gotten better than it was, but still not great.

The totes are a good idea. Just be careful because some of them are used for some NASTY chemicals that I am not even sure I'd want mixed up in my non-potable water, especially if it was going to be used to water the garden...

We are adding rain barrels to the house this spring, so it is going to be an adventure to figure it out... But I look forward to it!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Moxie I know about that drought down there all too well, my parents are just over the line in NC and it is TERRIBLE. It has gotten better than it was, but still not great.

The totes are a good idea. Just be careful because some of them are used for some NASTY chemicals that I am not even sure I'd want mixed up in my non-potable water, especially if it was going to be used to water the garden...

We are adding rain barrels to the house this spring, so it is going to be an adventure to figure it out... But I look forward to it!
All hazmat materials must be posted on the outside of the containers. I looked ours up. They both carried "hot pot 922", which is the main ingredient of ...moth balls! Anyhoo....they are getting a good cleaning and rinsing...the cleaning with amonia. None of the rainwater will be used for drinking. It is all going to be used for non ingestion. We won't be using those water reserves for the garden till next summer.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH get industrial "totes" from work,(free yipee)we use these for watering the stock during winter, they have a opening at the bottom and we hook up a quarter turn value on it to use as a spigot. At the top is a big opening with a cap for filling it up. They hold 300 gallons.We do have to clean them well, but have had no bad effects from them yet.

We also use one in the garden.

For household water storage, we use plastic jugs, but rotate them as they leech toxins into the water after awhile.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
deb4o said:
DH get industrial "totes" from work,(free yipee)we use these for watering the stock during winter, they have a opening at the bottom and we hook up a quarter turn value on it to use as a spigot. At the top is a big opening with a cap for filling it up. They hold 300 gallons.We do have to clean them well, but have had no bad effects from them yet.

We also use one in the garden.

For household water storage, we use plastic jugs, but rotate them as they leech toxins into the water after awhile.
Lucky you. We got our 2 totes for free.....but we could use more. Actually, we need more. We need to be able to catch as much rainwater as possible for summertime use.