water storage?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
On a smaller scale, if someone wants to store drinking water for an emergency and don't have the room....I read an article in Countryside magazine where one lady uses her canning jars. Every time she empties one, she fills it with boiling water, seals it up and puts it back in the cellar. Says it keeps her jars clean and she has emergency drinking water when she needs it. Some people come up with the best ideas!

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that IS a wonderful idea. I have hundreds of jars laying around, and they take up as much space empty as full. Anywhere know where to buy lids in bulk??

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
try a website or something. I am sure you can get them at the grocery store, cosco, or walmart

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
On a smaller scale, if someone wants to store drinking water for an emergency and don't have the room....I read an article in Countryside magazine where one lady uses her canning jars. Every time she empties one, she fills it with boiling water, seals it up and puts it back in the cellar. Says it keeps her jars clean and she has emergency drinking water when she needs it. Some people come up with the best ideas!
That is a great idea!! You have to store them anyway, why not make use of them. I believe you can buy the lids in bulk online.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, my emergency water is two years old. ... I wonder if it's still good.

I used the WHO method of storing emergency water in 2 liter soda bottles with a couple of drops of bleach. I have a cabinet full. The WHO website says to refresh it every six months though, if you plan on using it for drinking.

I can't believe it can go bad!... just sitting there in the cabinet in its bleached out bottle....

But I like the jars idea. I'm trying to increase my collection of jars. This'll be a good way to put them to use.

Cassandra

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
When you go to walmart make sure its not a sewer storage container :p I really would hate to keep water that is not in a bottle from the water plants. Some bacteria could get in while your filling or already be in the water. One idea is you could probably can water. to kill everything and keep it fresh. Plastic will also give the water a taste and i have heard it puts chemicals into the water to.
no body gave me credit for starting the canning :(

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did see that, CEF, where you mentioned canning it. And in my mind, that begs the question about which method of glass-jar water storage is the safest and most efficient.

Did you say you pressure canned yours? (how many pounds & how long?)
I gathered from the other poster that a lady just poured boiled water into jars? I wonder if that kills botulism (or if botulism would even live in plain water.)
Or, you could store it in jars with a few drops of bleach.

I hate the idea of drinking bleach water. I know that's stupid. But pressure canning is so time consuming--speaking after having pressure canned for the first time last night. I guess if I knew what I was doing, it wouldn't take so long. And it uses some energy, and not everyone has a pressure canner.

I hope Pat will chime in, she knows how to kill bacteria!

Cassandra