water storage?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The distilled also has some leaching from the plastic, as do all bottled waters. They have also published articles about how most of the "spring water" was just tap water in a fancy label.

Anybody that drinks Coke or any soda, for that matter, shouldn't fear the water...the chemicals in the pop are so caustic they will kill any germs in the water that they make it with! :lol: The soft drink industry uses their own product to clean the engines in their trucks, cops use Coke to clean blood off the highway after a wreck, etc.

There are reverse osmosis filters from Aqua Wizard, that attach to the spigot, that are wonderful to filter hard water into good drinking water. Not too costly, as far as filters go, and they work very well!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
:lol: Atleast i'm not a soda or coffee drinker. :lol:

Since where on the topic of soda who actually recycles soda bottles, cans, glass.
I recycle them. At least 3 times a year. They are worth 5cents in my state.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
soda bottles.. or as us northern folk call 'em "pop bottles" have a 10cent deposit on them here... we take 'em back... and my parents... as my dad would just throw 'em away otherwise.

We recycle cans from canned goods, and plastics...... only reason for us to do it iss to save on garbage pick up costs. I don't make any extra trips to do it either... only take 'em when I'm headed that way for errands.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We have our recycling picked up at the curb. The truck comes around every other week on the same day as the trash pick up trucks come (although the trash pick up is weekly)
The town gives everyone big plastic recycling containers for you to fill and put out on your designated day. I have 6 of them.
Having said that, we have a 5 cent return on our cans too so if we do happen to have any soda bottles or cans we can return them to the can /bottle crusher machine at all the supermarkets and get a recipt to cash in at the register or we can go to the redemption center in town.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We recycle newspaper, other paper, cardboard, plastic, cans, glass, and aluminum cans. We don't make a special trip, but we have to haul them nearly ten miles into town.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out!

ETA: It also linked to Red Cross
and FEMA for food/water storage. It talks about using the plastic soda bottles also! Very helpful! Thanks!

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No problem :D I use it whenever I have a question about something. I will also be oedering wheat and dry milk as well as other things throuogh there as well. I recemtly ordered a few things and the prices are really good on the stuff. I have a wheat grinder and the wheat is good for 30 + years. It is wheat berries not already fround wheat. And there are so many other things on there to order.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use old bleach jugs for storing water. Remember in an emergency you will need water for washing also. When i use a gallon of bleach I leave a few drops in the jug, then fill with tap water, then write H2O on the outside of the jug. I have been doing this for about two years and have plenty of water to wash with.
lin