water storage?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't remember where we got ours, but if you don't have an area that you can keep them from freezing, they probably aren't a good bet for you. I will try to find a source for you if you want.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
Colored Egg Farmer said:
When you go to walmart make sure its not a sewer storage container :p I really would hate to keep water that is not in a bottle from the water plants. Some bacteria could get in while your filling or already be in the water. One idea is you could probably can water. to kill everything and keep it fresh. Plastic will also give the water a taste and i have heard it puts chemicals into the water to.
no body gave me credit for starting the canning :(
I'm sooo sorry, CEF!! I didn't see that portion of your post and didn't mean to post over you!!! Please forgive me? :bouquet :hugs Big faux pas on my part!

I wouldn't go so far as to pressure can it. If safety is in question, I would just boil it again before you used it. This lady had just mentioned it as a way of storing her jars, while keeping them clean and having emergency water available if she needed it. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Botulism is not, afaik, a concern with bottled water (assuming you are bottling clean water in clean containers of course). However there are other forms of spoilage that can make you sick, thus the reason you can't just keep a jug o' tapwater forever and ever.

I don't like the idea (or taste) of driniking chlorinated water either -- and note that if you're adding chlorine bleach, that is essentially what you're producing -- BUT it is not going to kill you, and lack of water *will*, so it remains a reasonable way of storing water.

'Canning' the water is a really interesting idea! If you waterbath-processed it (as if it were pickles or jam) it should keep for a Real Long Time as long as the seals remain good and the jars don't freeze. There is absolutely no reason I can see for going to the trouble of pressure-canning it unless you just happen to have the pressure-canner going anyhow with a slot or two of empty space in it.

However, just pouring boiling water into sterilized jars is likely not to last quite as long (at least, not as reliably) as canning it. Certainly it is less reliable for canning anything else, can't see why water would be any different. So I think it falls into the category of 'better than most other methods, but not as good as store-bought bottled water or [probably] waterbath-processed home-bottled water'.

JMO,

Pat

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I think canning the water is a great idea and its not as time consuming as canning food would be. All you are doing is pouring the water into the jars and processing. You keep the pan of water boiling and you could just keep doing batch after batch.
I buy all of my extra lids at walmart, they are not expensive.
As far as store bought bottled water goes, I am not that confident that it is any healthier and all that plastic is bad for the environment.In fact a few very popular brand name companies get the water from the municipal supply like everyone else and supposedly purify it, not all of these contaminants are removed from the water and you would be surprised what is in that expensive water everyone is carrying around.
I would like the companies to come up with an alternative to those plastic bottles as the majority of those bottles do not get recycled.
I digress, but anyway, I really don't trust the bottled water.
Aside from their water not always being the purist, the plastic is a BAD idea.
The plastic is bad for you, especially if it heats up. If you store a case in a place that gets warm or you leave a bottle in the car or outside while you are working, the plastic is leaching bisphenol A (BPA), into the water and slowly poisoning you.
I have read up on this alot as I head up a biomedical resource group in my area.
This link below is a great resource on this topic.
I think the canning is a fantastic idea.

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/rethink-what-you-drink/article51807.html

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
I heard that pepsi and Coke's water comes from the bad water :p

Thats is why we always check our water when we buy it. (not very often) to make sure its spring water.
Please. Don't tell me that. I LOVE COKE. I have it once in a while.
What do you mean spring water? whats wrong with distilled?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Distilled water comes from the municipal supply, its tap water.It is suppose to have all of the contaminants filtered out of it, but its not always the case. Check out the links I pasted in my previous post and see what you think. Its a personal decision but you can at least have your facts.

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I'm glad we have our own well. No chlorine!!! Only problem it is so hard you could drop it on the floor and it would leave a hole in the ground :lol: We even gave up on the water softiner.