water storage?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
heatherv said:
soda bottles.. or as us northern folk call 'em "pop bottles" have a 10cent deposit on them here.
What. You, your from Maine aren't you?
ARE PINES ARE THICKER THAN YOUR PINES.
but your moose are bigger.
:smack

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love blrw said:
I use old bleach jugs for storing water.
Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

And Ticks.... nope, not from Maine... we're in Michigan. We moved to GA for a year, for DH's work... and well.. my first visit to a restaurant there, I thought the young kid who was serving us, well... I thought he was on drugs.. b/c he kept asking "well what KIND of coke do you want" umm... the kind that says COKE on it? DUH! He said "well we have orange, root beer, diet, and lemon lime and...." me: "no.. I just want COKE!" Apparently they call it all "coke" I really thought he was on drugs. LOL! I guess I should've researched the culture a little more b4 moving there? Then I wouldn't have looked so silly asking "what kind of pop" do you have?" at the next restaurant.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom grew up in Michigan and she was used "pop", we lived in Jersey and called it soda. I can't imagine people calling all soda "coke".
lin

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I actually have heard that term too, isn't it ironic that they call such a harsh drink a soft drink?
I mean they use this stuff to take rust off of metal, but refer to it as a soft drink.Strange that they came up with that. :p

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Down south we call every kind of soft drink "Coke" don't know why we do but we do. My grandda called every refrigerator a "Kelvinator". Don't know why but he did. :gig

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Down south we call every kind of soft drink "Coke" don't know why we do but we do. My grandda called every refrigerator a "Kelvinator". Don't know why but he did. :gig
Well why not? People say kleenex and xerox all the time, regardless of brand name and registered(TM) :) And of course the Hoover of previous generations -- the vacuum cleaner I mean, not the president :p

Why not Coke (or Co-cola, depending who's saying it) too?

Pat, who found 'coke' in the general sense much easier to get used to in the Carolinas than 'pop' when I moved to Ohio. I don't know why :p

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
heatherv said:
I know for emergency storage, they say you're supposed to have 1 Gallon of water per person for 3 days or something like that.

Well we have a family of 7 (not including critters) So how/where do I store that much water?

Our pipes froze up several times last winter, and we ran out of our bottled water quickly.

Any suggestions of a water storage system that can work? I've seen a big plastic tub thing (it was in the camping section at Walmart) for water storage. But how long will water last in those, to where it's suitable for drinking? This is my biggest fear if there's a real emergency. I know I'm not prepared when it comes to the water.

HELP!!!
Water is the most important thing you can store for emergency preparedness. You have to have it.

I believe that the recommended amount is 1 gallon per person per day. For seven people that would be 21 gallons per day which is washing, drinking, and food preparation. It may have to be adjusted according to your water use. If you plan on a lot of dehydrated or freeze dried foods you will need more.

What I do is save plastic laundry soap containers and fill them with water for washing. I have a few water jugs for camping (you can get them in most sporting goods sections at hardware and other stores) for drinking. Hot water heaters and toilets have already been mentioned.

You can store your containers under beds, in closets, behind furniture, lots of places.

The makers of my drinking water jugs recommend changing the water every 3 months but I think you can go a lot longer. Bleach will also extend the time you can store. Use only unscented bleach.

We also have a pond. The winters where I live don't get that cold so the ice doesn't get so thick that we can't break it. That water is for flushing the toilet.

Last winter we had a real bad ice storm and our public water supply was out for a couple of days. I have gas stove and we melted ice for out water use. Hot water went into a five gallon insulated picnic jug. Other water went into containers. We filled up five gallon buckets from the pond.

We also have a water filter for camping and a water purification solution for backup. We have 55 gallon drums but haven't set up a system yet for using them.

Many folks have advocated canning and not using plastic or bleach. This is for emergencies, not daily use. I personally can't see the time, effort, and cost of canning water as being efficient for me.