Weather

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The one man band continues 😂 All fence posts are set in cement, I'm very happy to be out of the muck and mire with mud coated, heavy like led boots 👍 my body is sore all over, but it's OK, it's a good sore.

Next comes horizontal H bracing with X high tinsel twisted wire, to keep the vertical posts tight. This is 5 acre pasture and will be fenced in barbwire with two 16 foot gates. The plan is for 5 acre to be the summer pasture for cattle. It's has a spring and creek for water. The adjoining 4 acre pasture by the barn will be for winter and new born cow calf pairs.

IDK we'll see what happens, my plans seem to always plans change... But at least I found my back corner posts 😂

Psalms 118:24

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As long as it's not cold they do fine. I had some brahma before that loved when it rained and I'd let them free range. They hunted bugs in puddles in the grass by using their foot feathers to stir it up. Hold breath and strike. Only ones willing to dunk heads for a snack.

The large fowl dry in a few hours. The top feathers mat down but the underfluff is dry against the skin. Usually it's the silkies who stand out in the rain, on purpose, so the rain will wet down their heads. Thus they are banned from having an accessible uncovered run as they take much longer to dry.

The large fowl have been out digging holes. Even the rooster and he's usually adverse to standing in anything but light rain. We'd been dry and then flooding rain. They are probably getting a lot of worms and insects. They beg for treats whenever they see me. I might have dinner leftovers, catfood, or bread.
I learn something new every day about these little chicken creatures :) I am excited to start letting mine free range for an hour or so right before sunset once all the snow goes. I did open up their run door the other day and they all started eating the snow on the other side--silly things.

We are mid-30sF today, 20s tomorrow, and then 30s and snow/rain mix over the weekend but we are getting there! Trend of mid 30s and 20s continue into next week.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the "warm" temps to here in WI. It's "seasonal" temperatures, but sure feels warm after January. I need to scoop snow out of the chicken's outdoor run. I asked DS14 to do it last week, but no... :rolleyes:

It's warm enough to drop off recycling regularly and clean my car. Funny how trash accumulates in the backseat in winter. Kids don't want to bring it in with them after each car trip. :rolleyes:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 inches of snow overnight onto of a glaze of ice. Supposed to be low 30s today. Our deck was almost cleared until last night. This month is the hardest, snow melts away and we then we get more-a circle that keeps going in March.
Yep. Here March often means huge snow dumps.