Weather

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, when can you typically get into your garden to plant, and what do you do in your garden for improved micro climate, or season extenders? Can you answer this in YOUR thread, please???? And thankyou!!! And, what does your growing season look like, and what crops or varieties do best for you. What CAN'T you grow?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Been spitting snow All. Day. Long. Not fit for man or beast right now. I put the birds all to bed early, with food and water for morning, drained the hose, set the fig and peach trees in the garage, and I'm in for the night. In spite of the cold (now 30*) I had a good garden day. Nothing better than working the soil by hand. I expect we'll see 25* or less tonight, since it's almost always 5* less than Accuweather says.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, when can you typically get into your garden to plant, and what do you do in your garden for improved micro climate, or season extenders? Can you answer this in YOUR thread, please???? And thankyou!!! And, what does your growing season look like, and what crops or varieties do best for you. What CAN'T you grow?
Ok...assuming you are addressing me

;)

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Snow expected up the hill this weekend! Currently 21C/70F here now but it will drop tomorrow. Its unlikely to snow where I am but we get occasionally some floaty flecks of ice rain that never seem to land. I do hope for some wet rain or I am gona have to water.

Might start the fire tonight while the fireplace is on the warmer side. My neighbour never came through with the firewood and he's nicked off to the city for the weekend. I have some pallets to burn so it'll be fine. Its such a luxury having the fire on, but I do wonder if I am spoiling myself a bit with it at times. I try not to use it unless it will be under 5C overnight for a few days in a row. Other people in town put theirs on as soon as its a degree under 20C.. so I duno where the reasonable line is to justify using heating.

The bunnies want the fire on every night, they love lounging in front of it and get quite bossy for cuddles if I dont put it on.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My line in the sand is don't let the pipes burst. ;)

But I am getting colder the older I get.

We have all heat off now... but with blowing wind, rain and highs of 41.... I am wearing socks, a hat, and my super thick fleece robe over clothes.

Brrrr

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More snow, but we finished making the raised beds. They are unframed, with burlap around the edges to help with erosion control. Another year, we will build framed beds around them. We are looking at these, using some old logs at the bottom, a'la hügelkultur to save on soil and water.
1621638399247.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well well now, look what Texas is sending up with LOVE - SUMMER ❣️
IMG_20210615_200315_162.jpg

I LOVE SUMMER - Thank you all you beautiful Texans :)

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸