Weather

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
6-12” of snow forecasted for Saturday 😩 mud season has already started and big snowstorms on top of mud, when the ground under the mud is still frozen, for those of you who don’t get snowstorms, is one of the messiest most annoying things on the planet!

my very last outdoor gardening effort (besides taking a few pictures the other day) was burying some squash innards and spoilings that were trimmed away. it was precisely as you described a thin wet layer on top of the frozen layer, the main type of garden soil here is mostly clay so it was very slippery out there and by the time i was done i had a thick pickup of that sticky clay mud on the bottom of my mud shoes (yes, i have a certain pair i use for any gardening where it might be muddy). it took me longer to scrape the mud off the shoes than it did to dig the hole and bury the trimmings.

if possible i stay out of the gardens during any rain or mud season times.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Surprise, winter ain't over yet 🙄
Screenshot_20220311-144823.png

And here our Sugar Magnolia about had me fooled, thinking spring has sprung ☹️. If we get enough rain, maybe we'll get to see it's beauty late summer.
IMG_20220311_144959402_HDR.jpg

Headed your way @FarmerJamie

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only about an inch of accumulation so far. Not even a snow shovel full off the walks. The cement walks had to cool off before snow would stick. Road looks just wet, being a darker color it holds more heat and hasn't cooled off enough for snow to stick. It is cold out there though! Hope there's no black ice overnight, it's dangerous.

My wife's ducks had enough of the snow and came out of the pond earlier than usual. They are waiting to be fed and put to bed 🙄
IMG_20220311_164620673_HDR~2.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We got rain that changed to snow and still snowing but looks like will end soon according to the radar. 65 yesterday... 28 this morning... about 2-3 inches so far, but temps are supposed to drop and wind chills in the single digits tonight. Then back to the 60's by tuesday...:th:idunno. Ground was warm but if it gets that cold then the roads will be slick tonight.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We got about 3 inches of the snow... and it is colder than all get out.... Blustery cold wind... down to 19 already at 6 p.m. Was 48 when the recording thermometer changed over in the middle of the night... Chickens are locked in. Cleaned snow off car and got wipers freed up so that I can start it up in the morning and not have them frozen down at the bottom. Bottles in the car for going to test cows... At least this barn has heat in it and he is not afraid to turn it on....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got about 3 inches of the snow... and it is colder than all get out.... Blustery cold wind... down to 19 already at 6 p.m. Was 48 when the recording thermometer changed over in the middle of the night... Chickens are locked in. Cleaned snow off car and got wipers freed up so that I can start it up in the morning and not have them frozen down at the bottom. Bottles in the car for going to test cows... At least this barn has heat in it and he is not afraid to turn it on....

I could only get 5 t-posts set before my fingers got too cold. I was wearing gloves, which makes it more difficult. I would rather operate the t-post setter bare handed because I don't have to lift and slam it down as many times. After 100 foot, I said this is crazy, there will be another day that's better. It's cold out there, brrrr. Now I hear the cows mooing, I believe they are saying wheres our food.

Last edited: