Welcome to the MeSSy Kitchen Club! Are you a member?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here ye! Here ye!

I am now calling to order the Charter Meeting of the MeSSy Kitchen Club where our slogan is "Self Sufficiency... Just Another Way to Go to Pot!" - :p :lol:

It has been impressed upon me in the last few days just how many of us belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club. It seems this whole lifestyle involves one BIG old pot or pan after another.

Canning veggies? Grab those big pots.

Making cheese? Grab those big pots.

Sauerkraut? Get the roaster and the crock.

Jam or Jelly? Get a pot!

Processing chickens? Making sausage? Cooking bone broth? Yup ... Grab a pot!

No wonder we always have messy kitchens and dirty pans! :p

I am Farmfresh. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tool is my GIANT stainless steel bread bowl. I use it for processing poultry, snapping beans, dumping the dehydrator, peeling apples, making bread and pitting peaches. It is seldom clean for very long.

My most helpful appliance is my commercial sink! I LOVE the big deep basins, the back splash and the drain board.

My most shameful habit is my tendency to leave the dishes until the next day to wash. I keep waiting for that dish fairy to show up in the night, but she never comes.

My best kitchen cleaning tip is the HOT soak. Since I tend to leave my dishes overnight, :hide I have found that if I fill up the sink with HOT soapy water first thing in the morning and let the dishes soak for about five minutes before I start washing everything comes out much easier.

My perfect kitchen would include a wood cook stove in one corner, room for a couple of cozy rockers to work in while watching a canner or snapping beans, room for TWO giant dogs to lay in the middle of the floor and supervise while I work and a commercial HOBART dishwasher. It would also have a LARGE first floor pantry with room for my two deep freezers and a high ceiling with ceiling fan AND an operable window near the roof to vent hot air in the summer.

Step right up and join the club! :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am JRmom. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club. :D

My favorite kitchen tool is (at the moment) my dehydrator. I am having a blast experimenting with it. I do love my big stainless steel mixing bowl, though - it sure comes in handy for a variety of kitchen duties.

My most helpful appliance is my good chef's knife. Hubby keeps it sharp for me and I use it daily. (I do love my stand mixer though!)

My most shameful habit is also my tendency to leave the dishes until the next day to wash. :hide I wash as I go, but I always end up with a sink full of dishes that I most often leave until morning. By the time we are finished with dinner at night, I'm usually too pooped to do them.

My best kitchen cleaning tip is for cast iron. This may sound lazy (and probably is) but it works for me and keeps my cast iron in great shape. If I use a cast iron pan for something greasy or oily, I will leave the grease or oil in the pan for a day or two before cleaning. (If we have company, I'll pop it into the oven to hide it. :D ) Also, I have one cast iron skillet that I use for cornbread exclusively. This skillet never gets washed, just wiped out with a clean cloth.

My perfect kitchen would be a screened in summer kitchen (with wood shutters that could be closed during cold weather) that includes a wood cookstove, plenty of counter and cabinet space, a large double sink, a cold storage room for storing canned foods and hanging meat, a large commercial grade gas stove and oven, a couple of chest freezers, plus a small wood stove in the corner and three comfy chairs, one for me and one for each of the dogs. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am FarmerChick. I am sorry but I can not join. I am a clean type freak for sure. --but I can answer questions lol

My favorite kitchen tool is my sharp knives.

My most helpful appliance is my toaster oven! Could not live withouit it!

My most shameful habit is hhmm...nothing gross. I keep a very clean kitchen. Worst is washing dogs water bowl in my sink. Even that makes me kinda sick lol

My best kitchen cleaning tip is keep it clean and it never clutters up or gets to be a hard chore. wipe all the time and wash every dish every day...then the pile up never happens.

My perfect kitchen would include a maid. :lol: My kitchen is fine. I have all I need and it does the job. Only thing I would like is to open up the wall from the kitchen to the dining room for that ONE big country kitchen, but it won't happen. Don't want it 'that bad'

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Gina
do I have to come and inspect your 'camper' kitchen also! :D :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No actually the camper is easy. I love it. There's no room to be messy. No crock pot, no Dehydrator, I don't have piles of fresh picked veggies from the garden, a bucket for the chickens, a coffee maker, toaster or a canning pot. Let alone the jars, rings, a coffee table sized grain grinder or a couple jugs of fermenting hard cider.
:p

The only thing that ends up on the camper counter is Dh pile right inside the front door.

G

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am Javamama. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tool is my Kitchen Shears

My most helpful appliance is my Blendtec Blender

My most shameful habit is a tie between the dirty floor and the sink that doesn't get scrubbed often enough

My best kitchen cleaning tip is to wipe up messes before they dry!

My perfect kitchen would be a working/prep kitchen that I can close off from the rest of the house, one with enough stainless steel counter space that I could leave out all my small appliances and still have room to prep food. And it would have a dedicated bread making area.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:bow Here, here for stainless.

My Dh says next time he builds a house its going to be tile with a floor drain.

Wouldn't that be nice.

G

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA Gina my DH piles right there on the camper counter also. Right inside the door. Drives me nutso cause I always splash a bit of water there and have to move crappola to dry the counter.

I hear you loud and clear on that one :lol:

I actually have a small L shaped kitchen. Small to me is better because it means less stuff. I refuse clutter lol...most days it works fine but when that clutter hits I go nutso and declutter.

this morning I washed the kitchen garbage can. On the back porch drying now...I THINK this thread made me do it! :)