What Are Some Of Your Favorite SS Forums,Omitting This One..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
What other forums do you folks like out their concerning self sufficiency and emergency prepardness..? Would like links to ones where people can share freely.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just use Google -- type in self sufficient chat forums, survival chat forums and you hit a bunch.

and they all censor something.

no one can talk freely about every subject when a website is controlled by another. You need to follow the rules that are laid down by the forum owners. Of course you can alway offshoot and create your own web forum and control it as you see fit.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
perhaps a little background....

so we tend to be a spicy group and an odd mix - very conservative, very liberal and from all kinds of backgrounds (city, country, left coast, east coast, fly over...).

we found out a while ago that there are some things just cant talked about here without a lot of name calling and "oh yeah? yeah!" and a lot of hard feelings.

so the site owners but kibosh on any kind of political threads.

this same kind of behavior erupted over the "N" issue.... even if it was on a lighter scale.... i think thats why they chose to have a time out before it got worse.

unfortunately there are a lot of people who want to hear about these issues... but you know how it goes. someone wants to be right, someone else just wants to talk about it, swords are drawn and the battle is on.

the problem is, with this kind of hostility you tend to loose members. not everyone wants to see or be part of a huge name-calling-right-fighting-knock-down-drag-out fight when all they want to do is ask now to hook up a passive hot water heater for their chicken house.

and its good to remember that this is site is a business not a 'not for profit' forum. so loosing members is bad for business - and it makes us all look bad.

for instance, if the hostility continues anyone who is ambling along, finds this site, and who dares ask a question is pounced on, chewed up, and spit out by the right fighters. so that new person doenst come back, doesnt recommend the site to their friends, and then just a small, mean, group dominates the conversation. this happened at another site associated with SS. but now - lots of new people are participating on that site, new people are openly thanking each other for the support, its fun and lively, and lots of successes are being shared.

and i think this site was on that slippery slope down to "no fun land". so thats why i think they nuked the nuke threads.

its too bad b/c i think there could be a lot of useful information but with this community, at this time, it just wont work.
:-(

i'm sure its confusing for the new people so thats what i know about it. but i hope you stay around.

:)

coldcreekchick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This was enlightening in a roundabout way. For newcomers it is good to get a "blast to the past" view of how this forum has evolved. I have seen real nastiness in other forums, and have wondered about the respectfulness of this group to each other. It is sometimes apparent that the members personal starting points are different, but the ultimate goal is ... self sufficency. So now I get a peek into the hows and whys, and I have to say, it seems to work. There is a lot of great information here, with a personal touch, and folks who have walked the walk. Thanks for having a civil, informative forum. And I know many people who enjoy the conflict of opposing opinions, this just won't gratify those types. There is a place for all!

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
perhaps a little background....

so we tend to be a spicy group and an odd mix - very conservative, very liberal and from all kinds of backgrounds (city, country, left coast, east coast, fly over...).

we found out a while ago that there are some things just cant talked about here without a lot of name calling and "oh yeah? yeah!" and a lot of hard feelings.

so the site owners but kibosh on any kind of political threads.

this same kind of behavior erupted over the "N" issue.... even if it was on a lighter scale.... i think thats why they chose to have a time out before it got worse.

unfortunately there are a lot of people who want to hear about these issues... but you know how it goes. someone wants to be right, someone else just wants to talk about it, swords are drawn and the battle is on.

the problem is, with this kind of hostility you tend to loose members. not everyone wants to see or be part of a huge name-calling-right-fighting-knock-down-drag-out fight when all they want to do is ask now to hook up a passive hot water heater for their chicken house.

and its good to remember that this is site is a business not a 'not for profit' forum. so loosing members is bad for business - and it makes us all look bad.

for instance, if the hostility continues anyone who is ambling along, finds this site, and who dares ask a question is pounced on, chewed up, and spit out by the right fighters. so that new person doenst come back, doesnt recommend the site to their friends, and then just a small, mean, group dominates the conversation. this happened at another site associated with SS. but now - lots of new people are participating on that site, new people are openly thanking each other for the support, its fun and lively, and lots of successes are being shared.

and i think this site was on that slippery slope down to "no fun land". so thats why i think they nuked the nuke threads.

its too bad b/c i think there could be a lot of useful information but with this community, at this time, it just wont work.
:-(

i'm sure its confusing for the new people so thats what i know about it. but i hope you stay around.

:)
:thumbsup :clap :clap :clap

You explained it far better than I ever could! Thanks for your words!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
coldcreekchick said:
This was enlightening in a roundabout way. For newcomers it is good to get a "blast to the past" view of how this forum has evolved. I have seen real nastiness in other forums, and have wondered about the respectfulness of this group to each other. It is sometimes apparent that the members personal starting points are different, but the ultimate goal is ... self sufficency. So now I get a peek into the hows and whys, and I have to say, it seems to work. There is a lot of great information here, with a personal touch, and folks who have walked the walk. Thanks for having a civil, informative forum. And I know many people who enjoy the conflict of opposing opinions, this just won't gratify those types. There is a place for all!
In many cases, we just agree to disagree and keep moving forward in a friendly and supportive way :thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I left a horse board because I could not stand all the bickering and name calling that went on. And it seemed like some could get away w/it, while others couldn't. Thus the reason for the rules. And I'm glad to see that as far as I can tell, it's enforced fairly w/no favoritism. No one is put down for improper spelling, word usage, etc. (Unless it's done in a fun way.) And this has quickly become my favorite forum.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was a moderator in a politics forum. The democrats accused me of being partial to the republicans. The republicans accused me of being partial to the democrats. I didn't care what party you were in as long as you behaved yourself. As long as the troublemakers from both sides of the isle hated me I figured I was doing a good job :D

Status
Not open for further replies.