What Are They Thinking...??

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I agree, if the skinny people ain't fat now.. Wait a couple years.
Though I know SOME skinny people (my brother) that could eat all kinds of trash and at least APPEAR healthy.

I can't say that I've ever bothered to look in other's carts either, I've always been too busy finding what I need, and getting out of there. Though yesterday I was in line, there were two people in front of me, one person who was almost done and paying, and a lady with a full cart. The lady turned to me and noticed the bag of caraway seeds I was holding and insisted I go ahead of her. I thought that was sweet :)
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Caraway potatoes.

Slice the potatoes almost through, a bunch of times so it opens up like a garlic bread loaf.. sprinkle in the caraway seeds and roast the potatoes - you can push them kinda closed first - SO YUMMY

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My point is, if you are using taxpayer money to buy food, it shouldn't be food that is making you sick, which, then the taxpayers would end up paying for again, down the road.

The only reason why I know what was in their carts, is because I was their clerk. I don't go around peering in, looking to see if their EBT card is sticking out of their wallet. I would see people through my line and get carts full of crap, and here I was, working for 8 bucks an hour so I had the extra money to buy food to make my husband's lunches for the next week.

I got upset when I saw it, and when I think about it. My husband, who, at the time I was at the store, was a self employed over the road trucker. He would be gone for days on end, to provide for us, and when he was home, I would go to work for 4-6 hours, one night a week. I would buy groceries to pack his lunch for when he was OTR, so he didn't have to eat a truck stops every time he fueled up.

SNAP is supposed to be supplemental, not for a complete grocery budget. IMO, it should be like WIC. I like the fact that WIC limits the choices, and is now offering fresh F&V. Even on our budget, we still are able to make cakes and such-from scratch-because it is healthier. Yes, we eat some stuff that isn't great, but I am not using taxpayer money to buy it, either.

Most people, at one point or another will need help. We needed help. We tried to get it. We just were not poor enough. Sucked to be us at the time. But if we would have qualified for SNAP, I wouldn't be out buying harmful stuff for the family.

I understand that many don't live in neighborhoods that have grocery stores, but this would give other stores incentives to carry better foods. I would also like to add that most people find ways to get other "necessities" to their residence, but it is easier for them to go to the convenience store.

It's a conscience thing for me.

If I walked up to some random person on the street and asked him for some of his hard earned money, and he gave it, (willingly, or forced-as with taxes) I would feel like a D-bag if I went and bought crappy food with it! Most people who have lived their whole lives "in the system" don't understand that there are people out there paying for their food! Hard working people! People who are barely getting by themselves!

So, yes, I do get upset. Their purchases should be held to a higher standard, IMO.

Do I dwell on it? Only for fleeting moments. Once someone accepts the governments' assistance programs, IMO they do give up some of their "rights"-or so-called rights. And they should be given guidelines on how they should use that assistance. If they don't like the restrictions, it would give them more incentive to get out of the system.

Sorry for the vent. :rolleyes: Sometimes I just get carried away.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CJW said:
My point is, if you are using taxpayer money to buy food, it shouldn't be food that is making you sick, which, then the taxpayers would end up paying for again, down the road.

Once someone accepts the governments' assistance programs, IMO they do give up some of their "rights"-or so-called rights. And they should be given guidelines on how they should use that assistance. If they don't like the restrictions, it would give them more incentive to get out of the system.
I guess it's kinda like moving back in with your parents once you've left home...they tell you, "If you're going to live under my roof you're going to follow my rules. If you want to stay out til all hours, sleep half the day away, etc (fill in the blank), then move out & find your own place!"

If you accept government assistance (of any kind), I guess they have the right to make rules about how you can use it. Right or wrong, that's the way it is. :old

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Bingo!

I guess it's kinda like moving back in with your parents once you've left home...they tell you, "If you're going to live under my roof you're going to follow my rules. If you want to stay out til all hours, sleep half the day away, etc (fill in the blank), then move out & find your own place!"

If you accept government assistance (of any kind), I guess they have the right to make rules about how you can use it. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.
It used to be put in this simple term... "Beggars Can't Be Choosers"

Now, here is where things get interesting...
If you are taking gvmnt money, there are going to be strings. That is just the way it is. I only have a problem when you are FORCED in to a gvmnt system and don't have the option to not participate.

Like with health care. Once it becomes a total gvmnt program and all must enroll, suddenly it becomes their business what I do in my spare time, what I eat, how much I sleep, etc....

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago there was an article in our local paper that WIC will no longer let people buy potatoes with WIC money. Why? Because they MAY make french fries with it. Can you believe that? I realize white potatoes may not be the best for you but it has to be better than other foods. They don't ban macaroni and cheese or junk food but by golly don't you go buying those potatoes. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the minute any living soul signs up for any progam, be it govt. or private, there are rules...lol

but remember we fight and fight for freedoms not to be taken from us....yet so many want to control how someone else spends their govt assistance. I say if you get the money all food options should be available. Yea cigs and beer, nope, but if ya want junk food then buy junk foods.

is anything in this life fair--nope :lol:

too bad everyone can't control everyone...what a world that would be yikes

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
A couple weeks ago there was an article in our local paper that WIC will no longer let people buy potatoes with WIC money. Why? Because they MAY make french fries with it. Can you believe that? I realize white potatoes may not be the best for you but it has to be better than other foods. They don't ban macaroni and cheese or junk food but by golly don't you go buying those potatoes. :rolleyes:
I rang up wic all the time, and I never saw macaroni and cheese mixes on any of them. You would have to make it from scratch at least.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm chiming in a little late on this thread but just read it and found it interesting.

My thoughts? I'm with the beggars can't be choosers, but I hate government regulations so I'd hate for there to be too many mandates.

Personally, I know a young person who needed assistance because of transportation issues, she is an unemployed single mom (her restaurant she worked at closed when she was 8 months pregnant) and her car took a nose dive at the same time. So she is currently on unemployment and has some WIC benefits. She was required, however, to attend a class on nutrition prior to recieving her WIC certificates. Since I drove her there, I sat in on the class. I'm hearing impaired so did not catch everything, but it was about how to feed her baby, what the best first foods were, and ways to feed themselves in order to provide healthy breast milk, etc., and even included basic baby care. Good information promoting the use of whole foods. This person is a culinary chef so she was bored, but for some people, this information would be very instructive.

When she recieved her WIC certificate, the foods are a very specific type and amount and are basic building blocks of cooking like cheese and milk, they are not allowed any choices at all. But she says that having those foods encourages her to cook complete dinners instead of grabbing something pre-made.

Since I do believe our government should assist people such as she, at least temporarily, it is nice here in WA state that they at least give some education, even if she grumbled about it. Beggars can't be choosers.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
ksalvagno said:
I rang up wic all the time, and I never saw macaroni and cheese mixes on any of them. You would have to make it from scratch at least.
I believe WIC is a different program than food stamps. As foster parents the foster kids were entitled to the WIC only. We provided most of their food. It was 1 gal milk, 1/2 gal milk and 1 qt of milk, 1 lb of cheese not cheese food, 3 cans of frozen OJ or apple juice, 1 doz eggs, i 16oz jar PB or 1 lb of beans, 2 14 oz boxes of cereal, there were about 20 specific types all high fiber and low sugar. There were no potatos or straight starches on the list.

If it was a baby they allowed powdered formula or whatever the baby was able to tolerate.

I always laughed because 2 gals of milk would have been cheaper than the 1 and 3/4 gal. That's govt for you though, they take some standard and divide it and come up with a number.

When we did it they had coupons. We lived in an area where there were no people on food stamps. They always had to call a manager to process them. We would tell people behind us they should use a different lane because it was going to take a while.

Of course these days there is a lot more people in there using their food stamp cards now.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My daughter and her family are on WIC and food stamps. Women Infants Children has very very tight guidelines as to what you may receive. NO JUNK - like Dunkopf said. Very different program than food stamps, with unique qualification criteria for each program.

WIC - you are required to have a child at home under 4 yrs of age.
Food Stamps - based upon your income and family numbers. Somewhat controlled in what is avail to buy.

Without foodstamps and WIC, my full time Wash State Univ (Junior) daughter and my full time school aide and PT Portland State son in law would have NO money for food for themselves and their 3 kids.

Latest posts