What Are They Thinking...??

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
CJW said:
So, yes, I do get upset. Their purchases should be held to a higher standard, IMO.
But who's standard would you like applied to the SNAP program? The governments?

If you couldn't qualify as being poor enough, can you imagine how low income these folks were?
Buying a bag of chips or whatever is probably AMAZING for them, like hitting the jackpot!
If you asked a snooty snob what they would buy it would be expensive cuts of fancy processed meats or imported XYZ

My point is that everyone is different, we can not apply our own standards of eating to anyone else.

Is it the poor peoples fault that buying crap is cheaper than buying fruit and veggies? That buying crap is such a glorious treat for them that they probably do go overboard.

Nuff said, nobody should have a say as to what is allowed and what isn't... if those people are poor enough to qualify then let them buy what they want. If you're not poor enough to qualify then really, there shouldn't be any judgements passed.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the same government that would be making up the rules for what food stamps etc can be used for, is the SAME government that thinks the current USDA food pyramid is a fine idea and school lunch programs are correctly run :p

So, especially in view of *that*, to me if it comes down to a choice between allowing people on food stamps etc to choose whatever they want within reason, even if it is Cheetohs and pop, versus MAKING them buy/eat certain things.... I would go with letting people choose, for good or for bad.

Not only is there the whole "personal responsibility, free will, how much gov't control of private lives do we want" thing, but honestly with CHOICE available at least SOME people probably eat reasonably nutritously, whereas if the gov't rigidly prescribed exactly what foods were covered, it would probably be more towards the Cheetohs and pop end of the spectrum anyhow :p

JMHO,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes pat, that's the thing. If it were up to the gvmnt we would all be eating soy encrusted fiber bars, drinking soy milk, and never touch real meat.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes pat, that's the thing. If it were up to the gvmnt we would all be eating soy encrusted fiber bars, drinking soy milk, and never touch real meat.
Yup, the more places where the gov't gets to prescribe exactly what people eat, the more the power of big lobbying comes through to ensure that THEIR foods are heavily used.

And you know... just because a person is feeding their family a diet of Cheetohs and pop doesn't make them a bad person. Maybe they just don't know any better, or anyhow don't really believe it makes THAT much of a difference. Maybe they just have too many other balls in the air right now to try to figure out how to find and use better food. Maybe they really *are* somewhat wilfully neglectful of their kids' health but I would bet that even some of those folks are probably better people than I am in OTHER ways. Life is complicated. Cheetohs and pop are not the ONLY things about a person that matter :p

Pat

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Wifezilla said:
Yup, the more places where the gov't gets to prescribe exactly what people eat, the more the power of big lobbying comes through to ensure that THEIR foods are heavily used.

And you know... just because a person is feeding their family a diet of Cheetohs and pop doesn't make them a bad person. Maybe they just don't know any better, or anyhow don't really believe it makes THAT much of a difference. Maybe they just have too many other balls in the air right now to try to figure out how to find and use better food. Maybe they really *are* somewhat wilfully neglectful of their kids' health but I would bet that even some of those folks are probably better people than I am in OTHER ways. Life is complicated. Cheetohs and pop are not the ONLY things about a person that matter :p

Pat
I agree with you on that. Especially the first line.

I still think they should give some basic nutrition classes as well as some cooking. A lot of these mothers on those programs didn't have a mother that was teaching them. I'm saying this from a foster parent point of view. We had numerous kids that were taken for failure to thrive. Most had mothers that were substance abusers, as in all substances. Lot of alcohol, lot of prostitution. I am in no way saying that a lot of poor people are like that. So Please, please don't think that. I'm just saying that being sure the mother or whoever is feeding the kids can at least cook some hamburger or a casserole or something vs ramen noodles every night. Then let them make their own choices.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
patandchickens said:
Wifezilla said:

Pat
I agree with you on that. Especially the first line.

I still think they should give some basic nutrition classes as well as some cooking. A lot of these mothers on those programs didn't have a mother that was teaching them. I'm saying this from a foster parent point of view. We had numerous kids that were taken for failure to thrive. Most had mothers that were substance abusers, as in all substances. Lot of alcohol, lot of prostitution. I am in no way saying that a lot of poor people are like that. So Please, please don't think that. I'm just saying that being sure the mother or whoever is feeding the kids can at least cook some hamburger or a casserole or something vs ramen noodles every night. Then let them make their own choices.
Perhaps they should limit the funds, and say if a person with children completes a free course in cooking or something then they will be allowed more money - but that still wouldn't guarantee anything.

I'm sure most mom's and dad's really do want the best for their kids, its just a pity they don't know any better. And everything you see on billboards or commercials on TV etc... is for crap. And the happy meals with free toys don't help either.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We needed help. We tried to get it. We just were not poor enough. Sucked to be us at the time. But if we would have qualified for SNAP, I wouldn't be out buying harmful stuff for the family.
So, you are angry because you didn't qualify to be a beggar? Isn't that what everyone is labelling welfare recipients? Beggars?

Really, folks? :rolleyes: What a generalization and an insult from people that usually seem to have one brain cell touching another.

Do you realize that for everyone you see abusing the system there is one that is utilizing it for just what it is supposed to be used for? That most of these people, myself included, paid taxes all our lives into this system so that we can use if we fall on hard times?

Sorry that you didn't qualify. So sad that you are above the poverty line enough that you didn't qualify. Some are not at any given time in their lives. Don't you honestly think that some of these people suffer embarassment and shame when they can't provide for their families....and then you folks add to it by calling them "beggars"?

Thank God you had a husband out there with a job and that you had a job. That's two incomes. One more than I ever had when I was raising three children without the benefit of child support.

I know it is a common and popular thing to insult those less fortunate and those that rely on government assistance....like Medicare recipients, WIC recipients, welfare recipients. Just think of all those old folks who don't eat properly and don't exercise regularly and take all those pills that they do not need!! Draining the system for all of us taxpayers! :rolleyes:

It's really the same thing, folks. Those programs are in place to help people. Yes, I agree that many abuse the system and many do not buy what you folks think is healthy foods. No arguing with that.

But calling people beggars and stating they shouldn't have a choice in the foods they feed their families smacks of elitism. You do know that there are people who are members of this forum that are on assistance or have been in the past? Let's just show them what we think of "beggars" around here, shall we? We don't like 'em and we think WE should be allowed to control what they eat.

While we are at it, let's put restrictions on anyone who smokes. They shouldn't be allowed to have healthcare and their cigarette purchases should be regulated by the government~one carton per month~addicted? Make it last, you smoker, you!

Same with alcohol....if you buy it, it should be limited and your purchases tracked, as well as a tracking system placed on your vehicle. Hey! I've a great idea! Why not stop anyone having fertility treatments as our tax dollars support the growing cost of health care and this procedure is elective and contributes to the growing population crisis.

The idea is limitless! If we try real hard we can control everyone that doesn't live the way we see fit if our taxes pay for their living....all the government workers, teachers ~now THAT one I could get on board with, all the politicians....you name it, if you live off America's taxes, we should be able to regulate your diet, your health and your very way of life.

One good rant deserves another..... :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So what is to become of us Americans? Folks are used to buying the newest thing and having an un-limited supply of everything. It is quite obvious (people losing their homes, their jobs, really NEEDING that help to feed their families) that things have already changed... major changes that very likely are permanent.

The last depression changed people. Made them frugal and practical. Grandma Nettie saved her grease, ate all of her leftovers and mended her socks. When do you all think that "the Jones" are going to get it? Or are they? Maybe we are too far gone.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Whether folks "get it", or not. is not my concern. I do shake my head at times about how folks spend money, particularly when they complain they never have any money and both parents have to work to "make ends meet"....all the while driving new cars, all family members chatting on cell phones and describing the latest show they saw on dish last night.

But all I do is shake my head. It goes no further. One cannot fret on how "beggars" spend their funds nor how the "keeping up with the Joneses" set spends theirs. Sure it's mildly irritating if you dwell on it....I try not to.

I just putt along in my frugal little life, not having to worry much about the economy. Yeah, it's getting worse, by all accounts. But my life really hasn't changed much for the worse....actually, it's gotten somewhat better in the past four years.

What will I do if it does get worse? The same as usual. Make do, be happy, live my life. And let others do the same in whatever way they see fit.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me, what happens happens......we can not control people's eating habits simply because they get an assistance check.....yikes....this control of every situation in people's lives can not happen.

you can offer or make mandatory a cooking/nutrition class for a receipent but then the govt should not require a written affidavit signed saying the Mom cooked X no. of meals that week to fill her obligation...just crazy lol

Americans will adapt...always have and always will. Heck, people (all people everywhere) adapt. But the idea of so much control given over to any agency is just horrible.

ya know tho, I never noticed anyone paying with food stamps, (I don't look lol) well, one I did notice in line and that Mom had her buggy loaded with the works...from fresh veggies, to good meats, to good snacks, to soda and crap snacks.....kinda like everyone's buggy. And when I do notice a buggy in front of me checking out, it is usually the normal type of foods. I almost never see the "total crap filled" buggy that everyone talks about lol