What Are They Thinking...??

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think most of the people on this board have had similar experiences. This is what those folks are doing --->
not_listening.gif

If they ignore it, maybe it will go away?

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I'm a freak and proud of it! I live in the 'burbs and have chickens and whatnot. I love being the old one out. People are fascinated by me at work (Do you really make your own ____?). My MIL proudly announced that " When the world ends, Nichole's gonna be the only one left!" That made me feel good. :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Javamama said:
...to each his or her own. But I know I am truly happy and just maybe I can rub off on other people as the world changes around us. :)
I agree. I try not to look down at them as they often look at us.. Because they are thinking the same things about a lot of us you know..

But sometimes I do wonder why people are so unprepared or choose to ignore what is happening and go on their regular ways. Oh well.

Of course we all know they'll be at your doorstep when times get bad.. If they'd even dare eat anything from the ground. I think that's why a person hears about so many people getting lost in the woods and dying of starvation in such a small time.. Many have no clue that so many of the plants that surround them can nourish them.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's all about priorities. Yours are just different than theirs and there's nothing wrong with that just as there's nothing wrong with their priorities.
I would LOVE a swimming pool. It's one of the best ways to exercise when you get to be my age and think of the fun the kids would have but would I go into debt to get one? No way. My priorities can not include that kind of expense at this time.
As for the guy who's building a pool do you know that he's going into debt to get one? How do you know he's not stockpiling for the future as well as building a pool?
I have a girlfriend who can't grow plastic plants so a garden for her would be a really stupid idea but she's getting things here and there and putting them away to save money and guard against the future and yes, she pays a guy to make sure she has a nice house since her property is also part of her future and if she needs to sell quickly by golly, the house is ready.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Maybe these people just aren't in to the whole doom and gloom thing. They may have jobs they feel are secure. Lot's of people pay much more than 1500 a month for their house. The average cost of a house in the US used to be 225,000. That's about 1500.00 a month for an average house at an average mortgage rate back when they were worth that much.

Like Farmerlor said. It's all about priorities. They probably feel food is going up but don't listen to the doomsayers. So they aren't afraid of that happening. It's always a good idea to be prepared for an emergency. If it gets so bad that the emergency last more than a few weeks we are all going to be screwed anyway.

America isn't going to fall off the end of the Earth anytime soon. There's just going to be a lot bigger gap between the haves and have nots. People will have to learn how to live in a 2 bedroom house instead of a 5 bedroom house. Drive old pieces of junk instead of shiny new cars. They will adapt when they need too. Until then don't look down your noses at them. If all the doom doesn't happen they will be the ones that had the fun.

Kind of like the old people in their RV with the bumper sticker that says "I'm spending my kids inheritance"

That's why we stock up, but only stuff that we would normally eat anyway. A jar of canned chicken is a lot more appetizing than a can of spam and we can use it anytime. I don't believe a lot of the more foolish SHTF theories, but it's good to be prepared in case of a terrorist attack and martial law is declared or something that could possibly happen like that.

Meanwhile life goes on. There's a lot of great deals out there right now. That guy with the swimming pool probably got it for about 30% less than he would have 3 years ago. Some people buy new cars and keep them for 15 years. Keeping your lawn green increases the sell ability dramatically as well as provides a sense of pride.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Being prepared isn't DOOM AND GLOOM. It's smart. Yeah, I had a secure, well paying job. Then the company got sold and moved to another state. They wanted their own people so none of us managers were even offered a position.

If you prep, LIFE, which is weird, wacky and wonderful (usually all at the same time) doesn't get you down. No preps and you are powerless, insecure, and frightened. Acknowledging the reality that things can go from bad to worse doesn't make you a pessimist....it means you are paying attention.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The friends I mentioned in earlier post, are in no way, shape, or form setting anything back, or preparing for the loss of a job, bank collapse, etc. She can just barely cook. They eat out 4-5 times a week. What they do eat at home is store bought junk, pizza delivered, etc.

Here's the best part.......during a conversation one day, she let slip that the main reason they had that child, was so they had someone to take care of them in their old age, and she was DEAD serious! How pitiful is THAT?

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, Im the weird one at work. I work with people that eat fast food and crap two meals out of the day at least. And there is me with my homemade bread and corn cob jelly!
Now, not that eating crap has anything to do with preparing for the future...but I just dont get it! When you take pills for high blood pressure, chloesteral and who knows what else...hey, why not eat crap all the time...Ive got a pill to fix it. Thats the stuff that really bugs me. Dont they care about what they put in their bodies?? I mean, honestly, how healthy can a Marie Collanders "meatloaf" and mashed pototoes be when it costs you a dollar.
Sorry to highjack this thread, but I just cant stand it!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing you truly don't know is their financial situation

that swimming pool might be paid for in cash--you never know what money someone has or for whatever reason they might have been saving cash like the dickens to buy their dream (like an inground pool)

me, I have a farm and do alot of SS stuff---but I do buy what I want. I am a swim loer--lol--got an above ground pool but if I ever had the cash I would go inground in a heartbeat----see for me their is a reason for that pool---I would use it, have party time, etc and enjoy the hound out of that thing---------for others, they would think I was nuts spending that cash on that stupid pool haha

I never spend others money for them in any case anymore---oh yes I did the---"who would buy that" and "why spend money on that those idiots"----but I realize now that is their own business. They can spend their hard earned cash any way they want---and if they get in debt and lose their home or something, well, so be it. I can only sigh and say I will never get in that situation on purpose.

To me I love horses and having land I can have tons of horses like I used too (and yes more will come lol) bu many hate riding. They look at me and say, who would ever spend $ on a useless money sucking horse hobby (especially for those who board horses at $200-400 per month) yikes

No to each his own when it comes to their wallet.

just me now, I don't care what someone wants to purchase with their money to improve their American dream.

oh edited to say my Dad is one of those lawn maniacs. It is his hobby to keep his home immaculate. He said his home was his biggest investment ever he will keep the outside as beautiful and provide maintenance to keep that home in top shape. After all, a few bucks on a lawn sure keeps a home looking attractive and I am that way also....well not to his standards, lol, but I sure keep a neat home and curb appeal.

Latest posts