What Are They Thinking...??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well, and inground pool COULD be an SS item....fresh water in case of supply line cut off....

:gig

Naaaa!!

Welcome to the weirdo squad :D
oh yes a pool is a water supply lol

when ice storm hit I forgot to fill the bathtub for flushing. I lose well cause of power. So Tony got me 3 big 5 gallon buckets of pool water and set them in the bathtub. Yup, water for flushing....and if push came to shove, boil for critter drinking lol

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup! I have a pond, and a huge stock tank plus water jugs that work as a heat sink in the quail pen :D

Always have flushing water. Boiled up it could be drinking water too.

I seriously doubt that was their motivation, but even accidental self sufficiency counts I guess!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol when I got my pool SS wasn't on my mind
cooling off after very hot field work was the reason--helps beat heat stroke :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Of course, you could turn the pool into your own fish pond and raise your own bass, trout, etc.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Of course, you could turn the pool into your own fish pond and raise your own bass, trout, etc.
I want a fish pond....

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
yea it is funny when people "make fun :lol: " of me doing all the home cooking, canning, gardening, fruit trees, shrubs, chickens, and rabbits.
BUT in the next breath say if TSHTF they are coming to my house because they know they wont starve. :ep :hu :hu :plbb :plbb

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow...many responses...! I'd like to clear a few things up.My post is what i have observed in my neighborhood.I'm not looking down on anyone, nor do i think i am better than anyone around me.I just stated,that i don't understand where these folks are coming from.I don't know who can afford to pay for a pool in cash and who can't, and i really don't care. When i said people going in debt, i meant Americans in general,( the looming credit card crisis comes to mind) not a neighbor building the pool, i guess i should have been clearer. Americans have always liked things, including me.Our nations situation is very different now, and i have learned to get along without things i once liked.
I wouldn't say doom and gloom, i'd call it a reality check.I don't care how much money you have, if food and daily needs aren't availble, your going to suffer.
I'm saying, those folks with all the nice stuff, may come to believe they should have done things differently.I mean, anyone can see were a nation in decline, in fact were on the fast track.We can barely pay the interest on our national debt.If one can not see this, acknowledge this, they are in total denial or blind...
Hey, its there money...do as you please..I live in a working neighborhood,one neighbors a bartender and his wife a teacher, two other neighbors are house painters by trade.I spent many yrs fishing out of Montaul PT,NY for a living.These are not wealthy people, and i doubt very much they are preparing for what is going to come.Do i know this for a fact..? No i don't, but i feel i can read people pretty good.I do know many folks doing as i am locally and like folks here on this message board..preparing as best they can.
One day recently talking to a neighbor, he says " Ah, the economy will come back, with lots of work soon " Sorry folks, i just don't see it that way.I see people doing more and more for themselves and families.I'm just grateful i payed off my house when i was fishing and i had the sense to never borrow a dime against my equity, no matter how tempting.
I'm proud of my vision for my land and what God has helped me accomplish.Some may love that neatly trimmed bush and super green manicured lawn,i prefer food growing around me with honeybees humming.
Someone beat me to the punch...lol I was going to say that swimming pool would be great for fish farming..! Talapia are a really hardy fish,they are forgiving of many human errors that would kill alot of other farmed fish.They raise big Talapia in Israel,in the desert...! Amazing..Its so hardy, its one of the most popular fish farmed around the world for a protein source.Sorry for rambling...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
But, don't you need hippo poop for them to eat? :cool: (Saw that on a TV show once.)

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol...hippo poop...? I don't think so...!
I'm not exactly sure what they eat, but i don't think hippo poop's required..:)

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The flip side are the families whose incomes come from people buying new cars,homes and ,yes,even pools. Small businesses are collapsing because no one is buying. It's a catch 22.