What Are They Thinking...??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WIC in our state now gives $25 coupons for each family member on WIC benefits to spend only on fresh veggies and fruits, be it at a farm stand or in the grocery store. I love this idea!

Fresh fruit and veggies are the most expensive thing to keep in your home. Unfortunately, the cheaper foods are the worst for you.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea our farmer market vendors accept WIC also
I had to sign up to receive it and be a qualified vendor and I was in the program for about 10 years then opted out renewing one year cause heck it was a pain lol

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:
I'm thinking that each person should regulate their own diets as best they see fit and let the government do what they do best....mess up things in a big way. :rolleyes:
I have to agree, no matter what I think of someone elses groceries, it has nothing to do with me, and thats the way it should be, we should NEVER EVER vote for the government to have any say whatsoever - because they do not know when to stop being the nanny!

If someone qualifies for SNAP and they buy crap - thats up to them, and chances are they won't have enough crap to get them through the month.

I personally think the governement should hand out boxes from farm stalls like (the name escapes me now) when folks buy shares and get a box of veggies and fruit each week. The government should authorize poor people to get boxes based on how many people in the family etc... and pay the farmer for the boxes handed out. BUT thats just what I think, and really its none of my business... :lol: (it would also help the farmers and create jobs in the community)
It would be great if they could use towards farm shares!
The local farmers market accepts Wic for veggies :) but does not :( accept food stamps.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me, whether the person is on assistance or not is when you see an overweight mom and/or dad shopping w/their overweight children and all that's in the cart is "junk" food, whether it's chips, soda, or just prepackaged meals. And, you don't see any real food in the cart at all, no milk, no veggies, no fruit, nothing. While it's not any of my business, I do find myself feeling sorry for them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always heard of folks doing that....looking into other people's carts. I don't think I've ever had the occasion to look over anyone else's purchases. Too busy totalling up my own things or browsing the mags in the checkout aisle. I have noticed that folks buy an inordinate amount of pop....like it's the only hydration they get. Weird.

I guess I would feel more sorry if I looked into their cart and they didn't have much food in it to buy...but I don't usually feel sorry about other people's food choices.

It's America...home of the free. Free to be fat, unhealthy, skinny and unhealthy, fit and trim or even old and creakedy...I don't normally take notice of other people's choices. I don't know their stories and why they do what they do, nor do I judge what they consume....that's my mom's job! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Nutrition classes would be great. Or easy to fix recipes offered to the families. Something like that could make a difference for a lot of families.

I realize that people need there personal freedom of choice. I also know that many of us have NEEDED assistance in the past or possibly will in the future.

I don't want to eliminate a party or even occasional snack attacks. I am just living with the memory of standing in a grocery line poor as dirt (Yet some how not quite poor enough) with three preschoolers to feed. In front of me was a person with a cart full of junk food, beer and cigarettes... and some actual food. I watched them pay for the junk food and actual groceries with a government subsidy (back then they were food stamps) and then pay cash for the beer and cigs. They spent more on those "extra" items than I had money to feed my kids for the next two weeks. I can still remember leaving that store sick to my stomach and feeling like our taxes were being spent so that person could afford to buy their alcohol, cigs and junk. Meanwhile my cart was filled with potatoes, rice, powdered milk and beans.

I know everyone does not abuse the system like that, but it tends to make me a little upset. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't waste your precious feelings and stress levels on other people's choices....honestly it is not worth your time lol

I don't care what is in someone's cart....I don't care if they are 300 lbs overweight and buying crap---I hate the obese people tend to screw up the medical systems also with diseases that can be controlled with diet etc etc-----but I have to just forget all those crappy issues cause my life is to be lived smiling, not frowing on others everyday choices.

I used to judge and get upset---now I could care less, and believe I live a better life each day.

don't get me wrong, if I can step in and chat about good choices in life etc with people I do and it is handled in that fashion, but just eyeballing situations I am not familiar with isn't for me anymore

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Mostly I do that as well. Just live and let live.

Just every now and then I need to vent a little. :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...I used to cringe when I saw what folks bought when I didn't have the money to provide for my family in any style, let alone a grand one.

Then the food choices...heck, even the skinny folks make horrendous food choices that result in bad health. Don't be fooled into thinking that only fat people have bad health.

But then....from my standpoint, it's job security.

So is knowing that people smoke, drink pop until their veins are carbonated, drink caffeine like it's mother's milk because they just can't "get started" in the morning without it, listen to their doctors and actually take the meds they prescribe, and all the other myriad choices from an ignorant or apathetic populace.

It just means I will continue to be in need and will always have a job.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree, if the skinny people ain't fat now.. Wait a couple years.
Though I know SOME skinny people (my brother) that could eat all kinds of trash and at least APPEAR healthy.

I can't say that I've ever bothered to look in other's carts either, I've always been too busy finding what I need, and getting out of there. Though yesterday I was in line, there were two people in front of me, one person who was almost done and paying, and a lady with a full cart. The lady turned to me and noticed the bag of caraway seeds I was holding and insisted I go ahead of her. I thought that was sweet :)

Latest posts