WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't normally post on threads like this, but I just have to proudly say that in TWO AND A QUARTER HOURS yesterday, with kids plunked in front of crayons and tv :p, I managed to can 6 liters of tomato sauce (made the night before), 3 half-pints of pickled hot peppers, and 8 half-pints of pear jelly.

I am never doing that again all at once with kids around :p But, woo hoo.

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
keljonma said:
Yes, we have been really blessed with free fruit this year.
Count every one of those blessings my dear. We had a late freeze and ther is NO fruit, not even apples. I am so glad canned fruit lasts more than one year so we can have some carry over but I sure miss having the fruit we had when I was a kid in CA. :(
Believe me, I do; daily. My heart goes out to you; I think I know how you feel. This year's too wet spring has meant no green beans, no sweet peas, lettuce didn't come up until mid July, tomatoes are just starting to ripen... and we are already getting nights in the mid 40's.

I'm focusing on the bright side of things and counting my blessings, because I know there are some without any food..

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
Finially, here are some pics of the canning that has been done here.....

These pics contain ~~ Apples, Apple Butter, Peaches, Peach Butter, Peach Preserves, Diced Tomatoes, Whole Tomatoes, Spaghetti, Salsa, Green Beans, Green Peas, Corn, Mixed Vegetables, Pinto Beans, Northern Beans, Blackeye Peas, Cannilini Beans, Whole Okra, Grape Jam, Grape jam Sauce (for waffles & biscuits), Potatoes, Chicken, Beef, Hamburger. Ganna can some Pears and Veal soon.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/thechickcrew/friends2008001-11.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/thechickcrew/friends2008002-10.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/thechickcrew/friends2008003-10.jpg
So can I ask about all the beans? Do you cook dry beans and can them so they are cooked and ready to go? Or do you actually grow the beans? Sorry if that sounds dumb. gina

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
keljonma said:
Yes, we have been really blessed with free fruit this year.
Count every one of those blessings my dear. We had a late freeze and ther is NO fruit, not even apples. I am so glad canned fruit lasts more than one year so we can have some carry over but I sure miss having the fruit we had when I was a kid in CA. :(
We also have been blessed with free fruit this year. Back in Feb. a man stopped in here one afternoon because he saw my truck & chipper ( I have a tree care business ) sitting in the field. He asked if I would sell him 10-12 truckloads of wood chips. It turns out he only lives about 1/2 mi. away so I told him, no I wouldn't sell them but I would give him as much as he could use. After 10-15 minutes of turning down his money he left with many thanks and the location where he wanted the chips.
In June I was out in the pasture putting a metal roof on the chicken coop. When I came in, setting on the porch, was 8 qts of the biggest black rasberries I had ever seen!! They were almost as big as the small chicken eggs. But that wasn't the end. They just kept coming to the tune of 37 qts over the next 3 weeks!!! We were drowning in berries. But that's still not the end. Next came the peaches. 4 bushel of peaches. I went out and bought a second dehydrator. Next came the pears. That was it!! We couldn't possibly process this much fruit. We loaded up about half of each into the truck and started visiting friends. We gave out 4 bushels of fruit that afternoon and made a lot of people happy. But that's still not the end!!!
Bob, the man with the fruit, told us to get ready for apples.
We probably have 35-40 lbs. of dried fruit as well as canned and frozen.
Now whenever Bob comes over with fresh, we give him dried to take home. All of this for giving him a by product of my business.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
When I came in, setting on the porch, was 8 qts of the biggest black rasberries I had ever seen!!
I guess I am glad you live so far from me, 'cause I could KILL for those rasberries :p

Isn't it amazing how doing good deeds can come back to bite you, and vice versa with bad deeds?

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
unclejoe said:
When I came in, setting on the porch, was 8 qts of the biggest black rasberries I had ever seen!!
I guess I am glad you live so far from me, 'cause I could KILL for those rasberries :p
Oh come on! What's 1800 miles for some good fresh rasberries!!!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This thread seems to have died off but since I'm still at it I'll pick it up again. I went to the local growers market yesterday. We had our first frost last night so they brought in a lot of stuff before it hit. I got a bushel basket of "imperfect" tomatoes for $9.00. I'm about 1/3 of the way through processing and have 7 qts of sauce and 3 tray's of leather so far. In the other dryer are apple rings. It's running about 15 hours a day. I start one batch in the morning, let it dry while at work, then start another before bed and that one dries while we sleep. I get about 6 apples done per batch. By the end of the week I should have about 20 qts of tomato sauce, 3-4 lbs of tomato leather, and 25-30lbs of dried apple. :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow--Unclejoe--you are sure set for winter! What a neat story :) Don't you just love how things come back around sometimes?

Today I am thrilled to have picked, weeded or canned not a single thing :D Tomorrow I am going to try some regular tomato ketchup and some peach/pear/apple and tomato ketchup. I have so many jars of sauce and tomatoes that I'm down to the frivolous and fun stuff now :)