WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We canned venison one year. It was so nice to have jars ready to pop open, add some cornstarch and cook into a nice, thick gravy to serve over rice, potatoes or noodles. Yum!

Froze a bunch of pumpkin and squash, roasted pumpkin seeds. I don't think I have any more canning in my future this year!!! Just freezing and drying :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
About 8 pints of apple butter yesterday and 15 pints of cranapple butter. Plus, I also made some fried apple pies.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got about 15 pounds of carrots and we will be cleaning them today and canning them tomorrow. I just love the taste of fresh canned carrots in a big pot of soup or casserole.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just about that time again...to pull out that canner and dust it off.

Let's get back to preserving :)

Boy, do I ever have Spring Fever. I can't wait to get my hands dirty.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I forgot I would be canning this spring--Maple syrup! We only tapped 10 trees easily accessible from our house and it was a short run this year, but I'm still hoping for at least 4 quarts. It's getting pretty condensed on the woodstove right now and should be ready to can by the end of the day.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ah, my canner never gets put away. I wish I could can some maple syrup!! That would be so cool. I just got through canning some soup the other day and we have a big snowstorm coming so I'm getting some projects ready to cook up and keep the house warm. Think I'll can some spaghetti sauce and bake a bunch of cookies and bread.

me&thegals

Reaction score
When it's cold and dreary out, I have to fight the urge to bake incessantly :) With only 4 of us, it just really does not get eaten up that fast!

Farmerlor--are you canning sauce from previously frozen or canned tomatoes? Or using good deals from the store? I love the idea of putting off some of the canning for winter/early spring and wonder how you work it.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
When it's cold and dreary out, I have to fight the urge to bake incessantly :) With only 4 of us, it just really does not get eaten up that fast!

Farmerlor--are you canning sauce from previously frozen or canned tomatoes? Or using good deals from the store? I love the idea of putting off some of the canning for winter/early spring and wonder how you work it.
Last fall I canned a bunch of tomato sauce from the tomatoes in my garden so I'll use that and a case of tomato paste from Sam's....and sausage, and onion, and 'shrooms, and spices.....LOL!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bought a water bath canner and will be canning for the first time ever this year.
I'm really looking forward to pickling a variety of veggies and putting them up!

I'm all excited and nervous!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gettin --- remind me when the time comes. I have a great pickled zucchini recipie. It has onions and tumeric, excellent flavor.

Latest posts