mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Canning: Dill Pickles and Cauilflower

Have Canned: 6 pts Strawberry Jam and 2pts Mulberry Jam

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Made blueberry jam with home grown blueberries! The first batch was just regular BB jam. The second batch was with one tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 t of ground cloves. So so so yummy!!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't canned anything this season yet, (been doing lotsa freezing though)

gotta question for you all though. Soon, I'll be freezing corn, and like last year, I will be making my corn cob syrup.

Basically it's just a syrup, and I want to can it. last year I didn't make that much, b/c I was just experimenting with it, but this year I plan to make alot. Again, last year i waterbathed it for 10 minutes.
would this be adequate?

To give a bit more info, you boil corn cobs for 2 hours, add sugar to the water, simmer to reduce to required thickness and then can it. The recipe I found was an old one, and it just said to bottle tightly.

would 10 minutes be sufficient?
Thanks!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make corn cob jelly every year. I waterbath for 15 minutes and I have never had any issues. My original recipe stated 5 minutes but I do 15 because I live at high altitude. I would stick with the 10 and call it good unless you are at a higher altitude than 1000'

amylizzie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been contemplating corn cob syrup/jelly. What does it taste like? It seems to me it would be just sort of "sweet nothing." I know what jelly is used for, but what do you use corn cob syrup for? Sweetening things like tea and yogurt come to mind. Am I on the right track? I am getting ready to freeze a bunch of corn and would like to use the cobs for something besides chicken snacks. Thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
amylizzie said:
I've been contemplating corn cob syrup/jelly. What does it taste like? It seems to me it would be just sort of "sweet nothing." I know what jelly is used for, but what do you use corn cob syrup for? Sweetening things like tea and yogurt come to mind. Am I on the right track? I am getting ready to freeze a bunch of corn and would like to use the cobs for something besides chicken snacks. Thanks!
We used it for syrup on pancakes etc. Here is a thread from last year where Pat described the flavour quite well.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3090

amylizzie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you very much! Very helpful! I think I will try it. My husband loves that HFCS syrup and I am trying to get him into something else.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
amylizzie said:
Thank you very much! Very helpful! I think I will try it. My husband loves that HFCS syrup and I am trying to get him into something else.
My Grandma Nettie used to make sugar syrup for our pancakes. Just granulated sugar, water and some vanilla. Sometimes she made it with milk. Pretty good stuff.