WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I just canned 18 pints of chicken stock. Woohoo!
:thumbsup

So you found your chickens, did you?

(My new canner should be here sometime next week :celebrate)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have decided I need a bigger canner.

I have the Presto that hold 7 quarts. That is just a waste of time and fuel for me.

I gotta go big!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well if you are going bigger then go all out!

Start saving now and by an All American canner. L.O.V.E. mine :love . I bought it because I had been using my MIL's All American for over 20 years and she had used it for 25 years before that!!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
AnnaRaven said:
I just canned 18 pints of chicken stock. Woohoo!
:thumbsup

So you found your chickens, did you?

(My new canner should be here sometime next week :celebrate)
That was just 2 chickens! I've got 4 more in the freezer. I think I'm going to try roasting two of them as well, being as the ones in the freezer are the cheaper ones.

And I think I'm gonna start canning the stock in quarts. It's good to have pints for a lot of my uses but quarts are useful too.

ETA: I look forward to hearing about your canning adventures!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about 6 or 7 roosters that will be killed shortly so I imagine I will be canning chicken broth and chicken as well... I love canned chicken.... ;)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I just canned 18 pints of chicken stock.
AnnaRaven said:
That was just 2 chickens!
Okay, okay, I gotta ask - how do you make your stock? I killed two roosters last week and made as much stock as I *thought* I could but I certainly didn't end up with 18 pints.

Here's my method and you can tell me where I'm going wrong:

1. I clean the feet, put them in a pot, fill it up with water, simmer for awhile, take out the feet and can the stock.

2. I take the heads, put them in a pot, fill it up with water, simmer for awhile, take out the heads, can the stock.

3. I roast the chickens, we eat the meal, I take the bones, put them in a pot, fill it up with water, simmer for awhile, remove the bones and can the stock.

I can't say exactly how much I ended up with because I also used some of the stock fresh. But I'd guess I got about 8 pints. What did I do wrong?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i am not a canning expert in the least. And I have never used feet or heads but...

I save all my parts and pieces in the freezer. Some cooked some raw whatever. I like the roasted carcases because they have more flavor. Some people even go as far as to roast all their bones first.

I then throw every thing in my biggest pot, fill with water and whatever veggies I have, some seasonings. Usually the basics, celery onions carrots. Boil forever. Sometimes adding more water to the pot.

I strain through a colander to remove all solids. Then I strain again through a butter muslin for little bits.

Bring back to a boil and can. I don't chill and remove the fat. I like it in my stock.

My huge pot strained and re boiled usually makes anywhere from 12 to 18 pints.

I hope that helps.

g

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
i am not a canning expert in the least. And I have never used feet or heads but...

I save all my parts and pieces in the freezer. Some cooked some raw whatever. I like the roasted carcases because they have more flavor. Some people even go as far as to roast all their bones first.

I then throw every thing in my biggest pot, fill with water and whatever veggies I have, some seasonings. Usually the basics, celery onions carrots. Boil forever. Sometimes adding more water to the pot.

I strain through a colander to remove all solids. Then I strain again through a butter muslin for little bits.

Bring back to a boil and can. I don't chill and remove the fat. I like it in my stock.

My huge pot strained and re boiled usually makes anywhere from 12 to 18 pints.

I hope that helps.

g
I have made it with the roasted carcases after a meal and added onions, celery and carrots and boiled for a long time and it seems to have a better flavor than the ones I boiled just raw.. and Yes, I have boiled the feet and made broth with it and it was good too. I thought about canning a jar of the feet just because I thought it would freak people out when they looked in my pantry... I forgot to do it the last time. I might just get around to it this time...lol...:lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chicken feet are a good addition to stock, though I don't make stock just from feet, I add them to the large pot. When I was freezing stock I made a point of making my stock as concentrated as possibly, boiling it down as necessary. Now (since a month ago, approx), with the canner I don't worry about that so much. Concentrated stock can be thinned out; its all a matter of taste. You might make 10 pints, and I might make 15, all from the same amount of chicken bones - and then you might use a bit more water in your finished soup/sauce/whatever. There are few rules, as long as the canning times are adhered to.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well it's that time of year again!!! :weee

I figured I would get this thread rolling again.

Yesterday after gathering from the garden I managed my first batch of Garlic Dill Chips. :clap 8 pints chips, 1 quart of whole pickles for my son.

g

ps. I am also on the lookout for a good ketchup recipe this year..... Free????