WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For pumpkin butter I had the same worry about the waterbath canning since there is SO many warning about canning pumpkin anyhow...

But I did it anyhow... LOL only had 3 cans (made a small batch to see if we liked it...) so couldn't justify pulling out the huge canner...

I loaded the pint jars while the pumpkin butter was still very hot straight out of the crockpot... Then I water bath canned it for about 30-40 mins... and so far the 2 jars we have opened are still very yummy! no problems

I'm about to make another batch soon and will prob just WBC those as well...

I suppose it's the sugars that help keep the pumpkin butter safe to water bath can... I also always put honey in most of my butters to help sweeten them so maybe the antibacterial properties of the honey helps too... not sure :hu But so far so good! :D

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
For pumpkin butter I had the same worry about the waterbath canning since there is SO many warning about canning pumpkin anyhow...

But I did it anyhow... LOL only had 3 cans (made a small batch to see if we liked it...) so couldn't justify pulling out the huge canner...

I loaded the pint jars while the pumpkin butter was still very hot straight out of the crockpot... Then I water bath canned it for about 30-40 mins... and so far the 2 jars we have opened are still very yummy! no problems

I'm about to make another batch soon and will prob just WBC those as well...

I suppose it's the sugars that help keep the pumpkin butter safe to water bath can... I also always put honey in most of my butters to help sweeten them so maybe the antibacterial properties of the honey helps too... not sure :hu But so far so good! :D
Thanks!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well both the cherry jelly batches turned out fantastic-I think I love the way the light shines thru that rich dark red color! Can't wait to see how the wine looks when it is done!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greetings, fellow canners. New here, but I've already learned so much!

Last weekend I canned 5 1/2-pints of Grapefruit Jelly (from my own fruit), and 5 1/2-pints of Apple Pie Jelly. Yum!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mandarin oranges left over from Christmas. And apple sauce. More apple suace tomorrow - would have done it this evening, but
DH thought he needed dinner :lol:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greetings:

I just got my pressure canner. I'm hoping to make low-sugar fruit spreads for my diabetic DH. And I'll be canning things like applesauce and beef stock and chicken stock etc.

In the canning book, it says that jellys and jams and the like should be boiling-water canned instead of pressure canned.

Can someone explain why? And what would happen if I pressure canned it instead?

Note: I got no-sugar pectin so I can use that for the jellies.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It would be overcooked and the pectin would likely break down. There is no need to get it up to the 240 F that is needed for certain foods, like meats. Botulism won't survive in the acidic environment that is most jellies.

On another note....did 30 half-pints of liverwurst!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It would be overcooked and the pectin would likely break down. There is no need to get it up to the 240 F that is needed for certain foods, like meats. Botulism won't survive in the acidic environment that is most jellies.

On another note....did 30 half-pints of liverwurst!
Ah. Ok. Just wasn't sure because of not using the sugar, how that changes the equation. Thanks!