WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks--sounds wonderful :drool and I have a pork roast in the freezer right now that we will have with it!

I also don't add any sugar to my applesauce, sometimes a little cinnamon for fun but that's it. My kids have never known anything else and my hubs likes it this way too so I don't have any pressure to make it sweeter.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
I have a question about some soup that I canned... It was bean with bacon soup and when I took the lid off of the pressure canner I noticed that during the processing that some of the soup had come out and ran down some of the jars. They all sealed and it's been about 3 months and they are still sealed... You think that they are safe?
[Deleted by author because it doesn't address the question posed.]

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So.... I am a newbie to canning. I tried my hand at salsa last night. All the recipes said I should seed the tomatoes. does anyone know why I would need to do that? The Ball Blue Book probably knows what it is talking about but I hate the idea of throwing away good food. It didn't say to seed the chiles so it cannot be that the seeds cause a problem...
Btw - I did not seed the tomatoes so I am hoping I did not make some huge error.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
P.s. I still have about fifteen lb. Of tomatoes I need to put up. Any suggestions? Anyone have a nice spaghetti sauce recipe I could can?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
So.... I am a newbie to canning. I tried my hand at salsa last night. All the recipes said I should seed the tomatoes. does anyone know why I would need to do that? The Ball Blue Book probably knows what it is talking about but I hate the idea of throwing away good food. It didn't say to seed the chiles so it cannot be that the seeds cause a problem...
Btw - I did not seed the tomatoes so I am hoping I did not make some huge error.
It's really just personal preference. :)

In the case of tomatoes, there are a lot of seeds and some people don't like seedy salsa. In the case of the peppers, it's the seeds and inner membranes that have the most "heat", so good for salsa!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The 18 # bag of oranges was only 7 $ this week, so I couldn't help myself and bought another bag.

I canned them without the membranes that surround each slice---like manderin oranges you'd get in a tin. I tried two methods, one faster than the other. The first method involved using a scissors to snip off the center strip, where the seeds are. Then, I peeled off the membranes by hand. 7 min/orange, people, 7 minutes! That's a long time. Then I checked youbtube and learned that you can cut off the peel, which strips the membranes off the outer surface of each slice---the bit that's hard to do by hand. That method took 4.4 min/fruit, which is still a long time, but much better than the first method.

I'm using 1:1 syrup, about 1 C per pt jar.

I threw in some corriander in one jar, and that was good. Peppercorns were not so amazing. I also tried bay, and molasas, but haven't tasted those yet.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
P.s. I still have about fifteen lb. Of tomatoes I need to put up. Any suggestions? Anyone have a nice spaghetti sauce recipe I could can?
I think I remember you saying that you do not yet have a pressure canner. If that is correct then you should can up your tomatoes plain, and make the spaghetti sauce later. Tomatoes usually have enough acid for safe water bath canning (though most recipes suggest adding some lemon juice just to be sure), but once you start adding in other veggies (onions, garlic, carrots, whatever you like in your spaghetti sauce) then the acidity goes down, and it isn't safe to can without pressure.