WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
I just cut up the chicken, put it in a big pot, cover the chicken w/ water, and cook it until the water gets hot. Then I put it in the jars and process at 10 lbs. for 90 minutes.

I don't add any broth or salt to mine. I have always processed it this way and haven't had any trouble w/ it yet. I have only had compliments on my chicken salad.

Also I can the broth after all the chicken is out of the pot. This comes in handy with soups and dressings. Also, I add no salt or seasonings. But you can if you want to. :)
Canning broth is my favorite perk of having a pressure canner. Combined with a slow cooker, you can make more broth than you can use! And the pro essing time is only 15 min.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just came home with 15lbs of baby carrots, 3 pineapples and 2lbs green beans...

Carrots are on sale at Aldi's for $0.49 a lb and pineapples are $0.99!!

Canned 7 quarts of carrots (7 lbs) on Saturday. Aren't they just beautiful??

429076_335709669793597_288816844482880_1151191_22463541_n.jpg

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So pretty!

I posted photos in my journal, but I canned up 15 pints of Borscht and 7 pints of Turkey Veg Soup on Friday. :)

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those carrots are gorgeous!

Me? I canned tomato sauce. And very proud of myself too. Delicious AND nutritious. It doesn't get much better than that.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I canned 6 quarts of pea soup on Saturday, and 8 pints of meat sauce for pasta yesterday (though two of them didn't seal :()

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
Mmmmm, mmmm, good. I looove split pea soup.
Actually, I use whole dried peas - just like MIL ;). This is one of DH's favorite soups, and one of the very few things that he will consent to eat two (or even three!) days in a row. The whole peas get nice and creamy, but they also maintain a certain integrity, so the soup has more texture to it (than split peas), which we prefer.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Acre of Blessings said:
I just cut up the chicken, put it in a big pot, cover the chicken w/ water, and cook it until the water gets hot. Then I put it in the jars and process at 10 lbs. for 90 minutes.

I don't add any broth or salt to mine. I have always processed it this way and haven't had any trouble w/ it yet. I have only had compliments on my chicken salad.

Also I can the broth after all the chicken is out of the pot. This comes in handy with soups and dressings. Also, I add no salt or seasonings. But you can if you want to. :)
Canning broth is my favorite perk of having a pressure canner. Combined with a slow cooker, you can make more broth than you can use! And the pro essing time is only 15 min.
you must have a HUGE slow cooker then or multiple ones! lol When I make broth I fill up my 21 quart capacity pot, let it cook all day and then can. My recipe says for quarts you process for 40 minutes, pints do 35 minutes. I have made broth at least 4 different times this year and have almost used it all up.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarefootMom said:
k15n1 said:
Acre of Blessings said:

you must have a HUGE slow cooker then or multiple ones! lol When I make broth I fill up my 21 quart capacity pot, let it cook all day and then can. My recipe says for quarts you process for 40 minutes, pints do 35 minutes. I have made broth at least 4 different times this year and have almost used it all up.
I usually cook the same bones 3x or 4x. Takes a few days, so I save the broth in the refrigerator. Gives me a chance to skim off the fat, too, which I save and use in other cooking. I've made broth all different ways, and this is the easiest. By the last batch, the bones are getting soft, and you can safely feed them to a dog. At this point, I can't even imagine paying for broth...

You got me thinking about canning times. Wasn't sure I remembered right. So I looked around for canning times, and 20 minutes seems to be the consensus for pint jars. But a few more minutes can't hurt, right?