WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yardfarmer said:
Tuna boats are coming in on the coast, so DW and I took a road trip. Canned 21 (1/2) pints of fresh albacore tuna. Then did 9 pints of sirloin to help clear out the freezer.
Lucky you albacore tuna home canned I am drooling just thinking about it. DD brought me a half flat of beautiful California strawberries and I did 9 half pints of jam. I love that kid.:love

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubs and I ended up tackling the peaches last evening, over 3.5 hours 60 lbs of peaches resulted in 41 quarts (with two peaches having been eaten fresh with lunch).

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Hubs and I ended up tackling the peaches last evening, over 3.5 hours 60 lbs of peaches resulted in 41 quarts (with two peaches having been eaten fresh with lunch).
Can I ask how much you paid for the peaches? I've had two different people tell me that peaches will be $75 a bushel this year here - I guess I won't be canning any peaches this year :(

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did up 7 pints of sweet cuke chunks. Won't say what goofy thing I did, but they were an epic fail :/ Oh well, the chickens love them. Also did 22 1/2 pints of butter yesterday. All but one sealed!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
moolie said:
Can I ask how much you paid for the peaches? I've had two different people tell me that peaches will be $75 a bushel this year here - I guess I won't be canning any peaches this year :(
Got a total deal this year actually, $70 for 60 lbs. :weee

The stand I got them from had them listed as "$24/20 lbs (19 litres/.52 bushel box) or $48/40 lbs" so I asked if I could get a similar deal for 60 lbs and she told me $70 so we snapped them up :)

And this was for organic, although not "certified"--the stand selling certified organic wanted $55 for the same 20 lb box :ep

Last year we paid $30/20 lbs at a BC orchard for certified organic so we were really happy with this year's price.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I foolishly paid 40 $ for a half-bushel box.

That's 1.60 $/lb or so, which is full retail price.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
19 pints of Fire-hot salsa! got "scratch and dent" peppers for $5 for more than a bushel. Coupled with the spicy peppers from the garden, my sinuses are running just from the fumes. :drool

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
moolie said:
We got two bushels for 30$ about last of July....

Did some beans, and pickled green tomatoes and pepper rings

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
moolie said:
Oh my peaches are that much?:ep I have a backyard full or organic gold. At the farmers market they are $20.00 a half bushel. I was given nectarines at the market yesterday so I canned 9 half pints of jam.