WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Theo - we found the same problem last year with our new (at that time) electric glass-top stove. We hate the thing. Very uneven heating and on-n-off heating elements. I have been pricing new gas cook-tops but they are outa-sight expensive. Time to start saving my nickels and dimes for a gas one.

I should have listened to my niece who is a cooking instructor. She says that a good cook will never be caught using an electric stove.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm, I have a Whirlpool glass/ceramic top stove that was 10 years old when we bought it second-hand 4 years ago and it works fine for canning, both pressure and water bath. I can't imagine having to wait an hour to get a canner boiling, maybe about 15-20 minutes? I'll have to time it to know for sure, but it doesn't take long. Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your stove? Might be something to look into.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
moolie said:
Hmm, I have a Whirlpool glass/ceramic top stove that was 10 years old when we bought it second-hand 4 years ago and it works fine for canning, both pressure and water bath. I can't imagine having to wait an hour to get a canner boiling, maybe about 15-20 minutes? I'll have to time it to know for sure, but it doesn't take long. Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your stove? Might be something to look into.
Our experience is similar to Boogity's, particularly with a large pot. I shelled out $95 for a three burner propane-fueled thing now use that exclusively - it's awesome

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like these are newer stoves then? I can just about every week during the summer months, and probably a couple of times a month throughout the rest of the year--much of it pressure canning--with no troubles with my stove. Weird.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Today's canning 14 qt's of diced potatoes. Eldest DD begged for pre-made french fries, so we have several gallon bags in the freezer. About 30 lbs of potatoes left to process

Nearly 30 pints of salsa last weekend.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
moolie said:
Sounds like these are newer stoves then? I can just about every week during the summer months, and probably a couple of times a month throughout the rest of the year--much of it pressure canning--with no troubles with my stove. Weird.
Maybe you get a better version in Canada? :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I processed 3 of our roosters today and harvested:
1 Quart of Chopped Dark Meat
3 Pints of Chopped Breast Meat
4 Half Gallons of Chicken Broth

Im bushed!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubs canned 14 pints of carrots last evening while I was out at a meeting :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I took chopped figs out of the freezer that I didn't have time for when I picked them and made strawberry fig preserves. Got 5 pints. :thumbsup