WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My dad and I canned 21 quarts of new potatoes today. It was a first for both of us.

I also shredded and froze 14 cups of zucchini last night and did 7 pints of the Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie in a Jar a few days ago.

brainwrk

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to this canning thing. Please tell me if the wives tale my ex mother in law used to tell me is true. I am going to use code words so please "read between the lines".

During a woman's "cycle" is it ok to can green beans? A friend brought me a five gallon bucket of green beans and I want to can them now but if it's true it will be a week before I can do anything with them.

Can I wear rubber gloves? Is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I can't imagine letting these beans go to waste.

Ginny

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:welcome And I've never heard this, either. Sometimes old wives tales are just that, and sometimes there is some truth in them. I suspect this one was a way to get away with not doing up all the beans when they are coming in by the bucket-load and you are sick of canning them. Just say, "I can't can beans for a few days, ;) , and pass them off on some poor slob who used that excuse last week and can't use it again so soon! :lol:

I'd can 'em. You do wash your hands after using the litterbox, don't you? :p

brainwrk

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hands are washed frequently, I am a nurse and just can't help myself. :p I remember her not letting me in the kitchen so I didn't argue, I was a city girl at the time. I think I will get busy, to kind of solve the problem if there is one I think I may can these as dilly beans and that way the vinegar will help the process along.

thanks so much for the welcome and for the quick answers, going to string and pop some beans.

ginny

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
This is my Jamming weekend, raspberry jam-14 half pints and 4 minis to send out, black raspberrys 18 half pints 4 minis again to send out, strawberrys 36 half pints, strawberry rhubarb jam 16 half pints. Tomorrow 36 more half pints of strawberry jam to sell for 3.00 each while at the show. My cost third season use of jars $0.00, lids $1.69 x 6= $10.14, sugar somewhere around 11.00, berries were free or split the cost of plants by 5 years 16.00.

Total cost to make 84 half pints and 8 minis = $37.14

Money made at show from sales of homemade strawbery jam, $108.00.

Profit of $70.86 to be placed back in my SS fund. :weee

My cost to pay myself, nothing, its a labor of love!!!

You might say, well I haven't sold them yet, last year I sold 18 half pints in a few hours. Those city folks love to buy canned jams and jellys esp. since they're organic and from a local farm. :celebrate

What was left over is always put in a bowl in the fridge, since we have been out of jam for almost a few months now. I put up a few extra half pints of every kind of jam this year. As soon as the raspberry jam jelled, the kids were having PBJ biscuts this afternoon. I also won't be giving half pints away this year, just the minis that I feel I can spare for xmas gifts to my friends.

I will include some photos on my SS journal later. I gotta go get my jamming shirt off now.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I canned 2 quarts of sweet cherries this morning. They were $5.99/pound on sale for $1.99/pound and I was only able to get 2 pounds - it was like a bargain basement sale cartoon!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I canned 6 quarts of plums yesterday. I lightly fill the jars with whole plums, come winter I love the juice more than the plums. Spent the morning cleaning up my canning mess :p
Getting ready for round two.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee pickles :weee More pickles!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I did kosher dill chips. Something different.

Hey MP, At a garage sale I had last year I sold more jam and fresh eggs than anything else.

g

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stayed up til midnight making
6 pints of Banana Butter that I saw on here (I live next to a mom and pop grocery store so every day I can go in there and get the really ripe bananas for $.29 per lb. I stock up my freezer for banana bread, now I have a new use:)

6.5 pints of Mrs. Wages Kosher dill slices and spears

7.5 pints of Sweet pickle relish

Today im making strawberry Spiced Jam to restock the jam cubbard. I still have strawberries in the freezer from last years U pick.

Keep the recipes coming I love these new ideas and I'm a recipe fanatic.