WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Yay! I managed to get 7 quarts of stock and 8 pints put up this weekend!
Wahoo for being productive!

Does anybody have any recipes for canning beans? I like to soak my beans, and then cook them myself, but that takes a lot of work, so doing a big batch would be easiest. And with the lack of freezer space, that makes it difficult to store in the freezer. For chili and other recipes it would be awesome to use my own canned beans!
I found a recipe for canning beans that is the easiest thing ever- you don't even need to soak them first!

For quarts- throw 1 cup of dry beans (any kind, or a mixture) into your clean jar. Add 1 tsp salt if you want but it's not obligatory. Fill up the jar to the 1" mark with boiling water. Just halve this if you are doing pints.
Process in a Pressure Canner at the appropriate pounds of pressure for your altitude (15 lbs for me)- 75 minutes for pints, 90 minutes for quarts.

You can add seasonings and such to change the flavor if you want. As a matter of fact, I will be canning some Mexican-seasoned black beans today along with another 4-5 pints of butter and I dug out some chicken carcasses from the freezer and stock is slowly working on the back burner.

This last week I've been a canning fool!
9 half-pints of low sugar strawberry jam
9 quarts of cherry pie filling
2 pints of cherries in syrup
9 quarts of blueberry pie filling
3 pints of blueberry jam
7 pints of blueberries in syrup
18 pints of chili verde
9 pints of butter (I pressure can mine for added safety)

I've also dried 1/2 a lug of apricots, 15 lbs or so of rhubarb, a couple trays of bell peppers and 1 tray of chilies

I still have about 20 pounds of carrots to dry (keeping some out to ferment too!) and I bought a 50 lb sack of onions to dry as well. I need to get them out of the way quickly so that I'll have room for the blackberries that are coming in...

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, 1 C of most beans is just too much for a pt jar. Even if it doesn't blow, they'll be crammed in so tight that you can't get them out without making them into mush. If you're going through all the work of putting up beans, why not just soak them first?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:)hide she did say "just halve this if you are doing pints")

That said, I always soak overnight--no gas issues that way :)

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea, wow, you have been busy! What a list! Do you grow some of these? Why do you want to ferment carrots?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
:)hide she did say "just halve this if you are doing pints")

That said, I always soak overnight--no gas issues that way :)
Oh, now I see it.

I put up 10 pt of duck stock last week. And after plucking a duck, I feel like I deserve that stock!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The strawberries were the only things I grow myself. Our Blueberry bushes are still only about 1 foot high, and we don't have any cherry trees on our property. We have chokecherries though, as well as apple, plum, and elder.

Daffodils, I want to ferment some carrots because I like them pickled. They keep their crunch but they have a nice tang to them.

I've never had any serious gas issues with my beans Moolie; but if I did I would probably just make myself a cup of lovage tea :D

Today, if I have the energy, I hope to pick enough roses to make some rose petal jelly. One entire border of our property is an ancient hedge of wild roses about 8 feet high and wide-- in fact that was one of the things that drew us to this particular piece of land. I usually let the flowers turn into hips and pick those but I have plenty of dried and frozen hips so I decided I could decimate the flowers now.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well canning is now gonna cost me $$$$$

been doing it on my ceramic top range for years..
had 2 water baths going and crack...
writings on the wall gonna have to find me a new stove
really liked the oldy but goody one I have..
oh well...

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4 pints of zucchini relish. I lost one in the canner. The bottom of the jar did a clean break off. :barnie
I have never had this appen before.

Latest posts