WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Hinotori said:
7 pints of Kotata blackberry jam. I've almost finished the leftover jam already. I love jam making days.
I keep wanting to read this as Kobota blackberry jam and wonder how you can make jam out of a tractor.
LMAO! That's how I read it first on the box as well!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How many tractors do you need to make it? :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
Ginger peach jam - 6 half pints, 2 4-oz., canned, and then about 1 pint in the fridge (recipe said it made about 6 cups total, but I think I had a little more than the required 4 lbs. of peaches.

Question: I've never used Pomona pectin before. This recipe called for 1 T. pectin and 1 T. calcium powder. In the pectin box, the calcium powder packet only had about 1-1/2 tsp. in it, so that's all I used (I hope it sets; if not, I'll have ginger peach sauce.) Anyway, if the pectin box comes like that, how are you supposed to get extra calcium powder?
Check your instructions--you are actually supposed to mix the powder with water (keep the excess in your fridge till you use up all the pectin).

The jam recipes don't call for "calcium powder", they call for the "calcium water".

Don't worry about how long you keep it either, I've got some in my fridge still from last fall that is just fine.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, wow, that makes more sense. I assumed wrong (and you know what happens when you assume!) and didn't even look at the instructions. Duh! Thanks, moolie!

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I plan on doing a marinara sauce today do I need to fully cook it first or partial cook it before water bath canning. I do have citric acid and vinegar on hand.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
I plan on doing a marinara sauce today do I need to fully cook it first or partial cook it before water bath canning. I do have citric acid and vinegar on hand.
Probably too late to the party if you started this morning, but it's best to can most things if they are already hot. If you like your sauce chunky, it doesn't have to be fully cooked, just hot.

Just a note though, if you've got anything in there other than tomatoes and herbs (e.g. onions, peppers etc.) it's best to pressure can--just follow the instructions/recipes in your canning book :)

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a pressure canner yet. We don't know if we are going to can at all it a test run to see if we want to do it. The water bath set up was a freebie.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Finally.... I have beans to can so tonight I will be busy, the plan is to do dilly beans and pressure the rest. It feels like I have been slacking but the garden just started kicking in. The weather has been so odd this year. :hu

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
5 pt venison. Cleaning out the freezer for 1/4 beef.

Found a whole box of canned beans that had mold in them. They all had tattler lids. I've lost vacuum on a few other jars but not a whole batch. I think that batch was one of the first time I used tattler lids so I may not have tightened the rings correctly. Takes some practice to get a feel for it. Lately there haven't been any problems with those lids.