WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An hour of picking and I was able to make 3 half pint jars of thimbleberry jelly.

Takes so dang long to pick enough to do anything with.

I need to go check the oregon grapes. Those are next on the list for jelly. Another of the fruit trees along the property line has fruit this year. I just noticed it last week. I knew it was an apple of some sort by the leaves. It's a crab apple. It hasn't fruited before. Some of the wild blackberries are starting to ripen, and the salal will be ready in a few weeks it looks.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just got done with a bushel or so of peppers made into some nice flamin hot pickled pepper relish. I got 9 quarts out of it :D Hubs is more than happy about that!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
18 more quarts/litres of thick rich roma tomato sauce, hitting the farmer's market at the end of day really pays off in pretty jars for the pantry :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Put up a few more pints of fig preserves and bought a box of peaches so that should be fun for tomorrow or Tuesday!

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You guys are inspiring! I sell everything I grow, so I have to wait 'til the end of the season to have the time to can things.

Moolie, what kind of pretty jars?

Kelly Ann

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to water bath can corn but cannot remember how long I usually do it. I know it is suppose to be pressure canned but my grandmother always did it this way and I am ok with this. Could someone please tell me how long, I believe it was 90 minutes. Blessings

Kelly Ann

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hinotori, I too have an apple tree that has never beared any fruit but mine too is crab apples. Do you have a plan for yours?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Canning quite a bit here lately! Tomato products mainly, and then some more corn and hopefully beans.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kelly Ann said:
Hinotori, I too have an apple tree that has never beared any fruit but mine too is crab apples. Do you have a plan for yours?
I think there is enough this year for me to make some jelly. I have several old apple trees on the property, and there are more on the neighbors, so there is cross pollination.

I'm going to be pruning the crab apple this winter. Hopefully I'll get more fruit next year. The apple I pruned half of last winter actually set a good amount of fruit this year. I'll prune the other half this winter and do half of each of the other 3 trees. They are in really bad shape. Someone butchered them at some point. I'm trying to correct issues. Right now it's just take out the crossing and half dead stuff. The hawthornes escaped the butchering probably because they have thorns. There is a big old apple tree over on the corner of the property that's almost laying on it's side. Someone probably crashed a car into it long ago as I can't see scars on the trunk. It produces some small bland apples. If I pruned it up it would probably produce more. The deer will come out in the middle of the day to eat the apples. Maybe this year I'll get a picture.