WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow - nope I havta get my sleep! But, someday when I retire it might change...nah...in another life I musta been a chicken....asleep at dusk, up at dawn, lol!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can until whatever needs to be put up is done. Often late at night. I like to do it when mealtimes are over and the kitchen is cleaned up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I canned tomatoes. This year, I am growing the biggest, prettiest tomatoes I have ever grown! I canned Cherokee Purple tomatoes into spaghetti sauce and got 6 pints. I canned the Rosso Sicilian into sauce and got 4 pints. I poured the water off both batches and canned that tomato water for cooking water and got 6 pints.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey gals. Quick question about lids. I recently got 3 cases of jars, but the lids were sealed. Had to use a butter knife to pop them off. Can they be boiled and used or do I need to toss them?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should be able to use them. I did the same thing yesterday with a case of jars I've had.....ummmm.....don't know how long! If you are uneasy about it, lids are cheap.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My lids are often seal (actually a false seal) when I buy the jars. As long as you don't bend the lid or gouge the rubber it should work.

An update on my canned plums. My sons think I am the bestest mom in the whole wide world when I bake plum cobblers with the canned plums.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a cheap little can opener/tapper to carefully open my jar lids. I haven't bent one in decades. Just barely lift enough to break the seal.

On that note, I have larger plastic version of one designed for breaking the seal on those jars from the store that can be so hard to open. Jars open easy around here.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a metal one too with a bottle opener on one side and a can opener on the other. This is what we used before pop-tops, twist-tops and such. If anyone can remember the kind to open Coke bottles and cans of beer. I remember because I'm old as dirt, lol. :old

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a metal one too with a bottle opener on one side and a can opener on the other. This is what we used before pop-tops, twist-tops and such. If anyone can remember the kind to open Coke bottles and cans of beer. I remember because I'm old as dirt, lol. :old

Lol. Some beers still need it. Plus sometimes the twist tops are too hard to turn. Mines on a magnet so it stays out of the way on the fridge.

I use canned milk occasionally for my dinner rolls and a few other recipes. Tapping the can is so much easier than using the can opener.

Oh, and I've never owned an electric can opener. Mom had one when I was a kid. I hated the sound and how hard it was to clean it. I have a smooth turning one that I bought 20 some years ago that is rinsed off after use so it looks brand new still.

I have bought Mom a battery operated side can opener and an electric jar opener, as well as one of those plastic jar poppers. Both her and Dad can't grip and turn most thing anymore. So anytime I come across something that will make their lives easier I try to get it to help.

Latest posts