WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Purty and it taste good but it's syrupy. Oh well, it'll get eaten anyway. I'm going to be doing watermelon rind pickles probably tonight. Now those I know we'll love!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sunflowers are ready to dry when the birds start picking them off and if you don't chop the heads off you aren't gonna have anything left...least that's how I did it here :D

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are you going to save them for livestock food or boil in salt water and dry for human consumption? Actually you probably could just soak in salt water before drying.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH yum... peach cobber and ice cream! Nothing better in life...and nothing worse than being on a diet and thinking about peach cobbler and ice cream! ARGH!!!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@goatgurl I think freezing definitely counts. Something got all my peaches off the trees. Probably those pesky squirrels.

@Wanabefree they sure will be good. An American Homestead blog did one on YouTube about sunflower seeds.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hate squirrels, just sayin'. just fluffy tree rats. dstr#1 had a peach tree and the peaches all disappeared over the course of a week. she blamed the neighbor but then caught a raccoon in the tree. I laughed.
and yes wannabe, boil in salted water and then dry in a med. low oven. yummm

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandson saw a raccoon one morning so maybe it's raccoons instead of squirrels. Probably more like squirrels, raccoons and deer!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those pickles are gorgeous. I've wanted to try my hand at brined pickles sometime. Here is pictures of some of my watermelon jelly. It didn't set up much. My son will still love it on pancakes or ice cream.

View attachment 3946
I used Certo for the batch pictured and did a few freezer jars using Ball Instant Pectin for freezer jelly but neither set up worth a hoot. I never do well without plain ole old fashion SureJell. Watermelon is low acid so I added lime juice and boiled it with the peels for extra acid (and flavor). It was not good watermelon at all but taste pretty good with the lime and sugar. I also dehydrated some which was downright good but the Wildbunch ate it before I could even package it up.

Whoa hold the horses - did I here you say "watermelon jelly" really??? Can I PLEASE have your recipe. I gotta try that!