WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've heard watermelon jelly is good if you just really like watermelon. I don't eat much of it myself. Sounds interesting but I've never tried it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you going to save them for livestock food or boil in salt water and dry for human consumption? Actually you probably could just soak in salt water before drying.

I hate squirrels, just sayin'. just fluffy tree rats. dstr#1 had a peach tree and the peaches all disappeared over the course of a week. she blamed the neighbor but then caught a raccoon in the tree. I laughed.
and yes wannabe, boil in salted water and then dry in a med. low oven. yummm

We call squirrels tree dogs, we have a small population of flying ones around here. Crazy to watch... I got pretty good, I can pop off two with one shot. Little bastards is what they are... They can tear a garden up in no time flat.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hear squirrels are good to eat. Haven't tried it myself, yet, but that's what I've been told.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I spotted something on FB about oven canning, but when I Googled it I found some conflicting verdicts and lots of "don'ts" Has anyone here tried it, what are your thoughts?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Squirrel is good if it's prepared correctly. Some here do oven canning quite a bit, I've never tried it myself. It's the same as other canning, caution should be always considered when home canning foods. Most have had success with it from what I recall reading on here.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been YEARS but, granddad used to hunt & we ate them -- grandma canned lots for winter use. Don't remember what the taste was -- just that I sure ate them without issue. Believe she generally fried like a rabbit. 60 yrs, hard to remember it all.:p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, fried typically. They are pretty good. It's one of those things you have to cook low and slow because it'll be like leather if you don't. Low fat, good flavor.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Word to the wise...when canning squirrel, remove meat from the bones prior to canning. The canning process renders squirrel, rabbit and even the fine bones on chickens into a crumbled mess. Ask me how I know.... :rolleyes:

Canned squirrel is GREAT...good for soups, gravy, etc. Very much more tender and flavorful than when fried or stewed.