WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife and I made a mess in her kitchen, canning pears :hide. I cut the skin off the pears with my pocket knife, cored and slice them, then tossed them in a bowl of some kind of lemon juice liquid. She ran the timer, then cooked them in some lite syrup, loaded the jars, and cooked them in the water bather. My chickens and turkeys got all the scraps, cores and over ripe pears.

Pics of the mess (work in progress)...
IMG_20180903_195851605.jpg

IMG_20180903_195900687.jpg

And the finished product, 27 pints. Pears are my favorite fruit, nothing like pears and cottage cheese when the snow is flying in the winter. And I really like these pears we're not sprayed with any chemicals.
IMG_20180903_204816088.jpg

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YuM!

I didn't can them, but I freeze-dried about 10 pounds each of peaches and nectarines (wonderful as crunchy snacks, and very good when rehydrated too!). Then I had about 3 pounds of peaches that were just a bit overripe, and these happened to be clings; I didn't feel like trying to get neat slices from them, so I mushed them up and added a couple tablespoons of lemon juice and made a whole bunch of fruit leather. There's too much concentrated sugars in the fruit leather for me, but DH and DS both pronounced them VERY GOOD.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
8 pints of fall raspberry jam. That's to make up for the fact that the blackberries didn't ripen.

Should have pacific crab apple jelly soon. Just need hubby to hold the ladder and watch in case my clumsy rear falls off

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
7 half pints of the Pacific crabapple jelly.

Only got ones low enough to reach from a chair. I did jinx myself. Fell off the chair and twisted my hip and hit 3 branches on the way down. Would have been worse if hubby hadn't grabbed for me and slowed my fall, even though he couldn't stop it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my goodness @Hinotori :hugs I think you should send DH up there to pick them next time.. No offence! I'm just as clumsy when I climb on things.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been busy here.

Hubby recommends I just freeze the tuna bellies instead of canning. That would have been at least another 10 jars.I'll vacuum seal and do that. Did a simple brine of brown sugar and salt on those before smoking. I found a new favorite food.

As for the rest of the tuna, I smoked it all before packing it in 10 oz jars

28 jalapeno
71 regular

And 16 dog food

I don't want to see or smell fish much for a while