WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It comes back if you don't now it every week like my father in law did.

When I moved my old garden to it's new spot, I took some rhubarb roots, but did not dig up the whole plant. It took 3 years of constant mowing to finally kill that plant!

Hubby took great delight in it's destruction. When it comes to all things green, he and I live in different worlds. His world: expansive lawn, without interruption of beautifying landscape details, or utilitarian details such as fruit trees, grape arbors, flower borders, veggie garden...

My world: Lawn serves only one purpose. That being to provide bushels of high nitrogen mulch for my landscaping and utilitarian needs.

I also had to beg rhubarb this season b/c I tore my garden down to bare bones for a "remake". I will tell you that the rhubarb that I used was no where as nice as the rhubarb from my own land. Flavor, texture, overall quality was lacking, even though it looked and smelled fine.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put up four 1/2 pints of jam & two pints of syrup, from the blackberry juice I had made. Earlier in summer I picked wild blackberries from all over the farm & processed into juice for just this use.

Gotta say, it's good! I like less sugar than you find in commercial (& some homemade) jams/jellies. The fruit flavor is overpowered by "blah sweet". These -- you know you are having blackberries!! Not a huge amount but more than enough for me. Still have some 1/2 pints of nectarine and some fig preserves from last year. Just not a big eater of jelly. Prefer jams or preserves if eating them -- & still not a lot.

Have a lot of milk coming in -- MAY can a few pints, just to try that. Mostly I freeze it. Since goat milk is naturally homogenized, when frozen it doesn't separate badly like cow milk will. And it's time to make & freeze some cheese.

Have the gallon of elderberry juice for "use" later in winter, plus three 1/2 pints lightly sweetened, canned for use. Then 2 days ago -- could NOT help it -- picked some more!:idunno It's an obsession, I tell you. Had been "watching" a patch and they were so ripe and ready. Stopped and got them. Washed/cleaned, froze a quart of berries. Oh, I have another pint of dehydrated, also. :th Why do I feel I must have them at the ready? No reason, yet.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a hubby like yours @Lazy Gardener . He obsesses about having a finely manicured yard. It is a lot to mow, and we need to mow around the house to keep the mosquitoes at bay, but at least he is a little better here than he was at our last place in WI. Unfortunately, the area aroudn teh chicken coop is on his mow-scope and the chickens have manicured yard to free-range in whenever I get a chance to let them out.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think this classifies as canning. 10 bottles of Strawberry Wine 13.6% Alcohol By Volume and back sweetened to 1.020, as per my wife's taste buds.
IMG_20190802_175214.jpg