WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
wife's taste buds. It's really yummy, my wife is a little tipsy from dialing in the sweetness :D

It's a TOUGH job -- someone has to do it!!!! :lol:

Those are sure some pretty bottles of wine! Love the gold caps...

But then I only use butter with cream of wheat as well. I like grits pretty plain. Just butter and maybe a little cheese.

Lots of butter on my grits!! Little sugar & cream on cream of wheat. Yum. Lovely breakfast on cold winter morn.

However, the tea here is pure syrup

Oh, yeah! I swear, can't understand how they can use SO MUCH sugar. For me, it ruins the tea but, I like a little sugar...just a little. Everyone has their own tastebuds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - I will admit it. It was how I was raised - so I can't help it. We were poor back in the day and we had grits for breakfast many times. If we had grits as a breakfast meal we put sugar and butter and milk in 'em. Lots of breakfast cereal is made from corn - ok? Ya put sugar on that corn too, lol.

If we had them as a side dish with scrambled eggs or such - no sugar. We used butter and cheese in that instance.

Don't eat a lot of them now a days - but barbeque shrimp and grits is an absolute fave!

Grits are versatile - they can go both ways, lol!

And - totally agree - NO INSTANT GRITS!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First canning of green beans today. 8 pints almost done, 8 more pints in the jars, waiting for their turn in the canner. I'm adding 1/4 tsp salt/pint this year. Have not added salt in the past.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My buddy at the home brew store told me a easy way to put on shrink wrap bottle toppers.

Heat a pan of water to boiling, slip the topper on and hold it in place with a fork as you dunk it in the boiling water.
IMG_20190811_171813606.jpg

As soon as the topper hits the boiling water it shrinks and the fork is no longer needed.
Then just make sure the topper is completely under the boiling water and turn the bottle until all the wrinkles are out of the topper. Doesn't take anymore than 2 seconds to shrink a topper to the bottle.
IMG_20190811_171606487.jpg

Easy Smeasy and beats a hairdryer all day long.
IMG_20190811_171710631.jpg

Now that the wine bottle have been stored upright to dry the corks. I can now store them on there sides to keep the corks wet and keep out nasties floating around in the air, that's looking to turn my wine into vinegar.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aha -- now pink on these bottles. :clap

Today I canned 6 pints of elderberry juice. I now have a total of 2 gal canned, 2 qts frozen berries, 1 qt dried berries. I think I'm done with that. Plus, the season is pretty much done for this year, few stragglers here & there.

Have found 3 great stands of wild ones, have 3 young patches growing ON the farm, just not enough from "on farm" yet.

Have put 8 qts of ricotta cheese in freezer this week, & dehydrated 16 trays of figs, also. I've really been eating those figs!! May need to work up some more at this rate. It's like candy :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife's crock pot BBQ pulled pork butt.

I made a deal with her, that if she made a huge BBQ pulled pork butt when it went on sale, that I would pressure can it. So that's what I'm doing. I don't know what she did different this time, but her butt is just right, very tender, juicy and delicious.