WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today I made salsa. Apparently, I'm a very slow learner. I looked at a cook book, and a couple recipes on line. Then, I threw caution to the wind, and took matters into my own hands. A little of this, and a little of that. Well... ok... maybe a little of this, and too much of that. Final result was even hot for Hubby! I put in about 1/3 c pickled Jalapenos. (I didn't really measure.) And I roasted 3 Jalapenos that were picked green, then left on the counter to ripen. I then split them open, rinsed the seeds out, scraped the flesh out. Added that. The final, killer (I fear) was when I tossed in ABOUT 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes. Of course I didn't measure. So... now, in an attempt to temper it down, I have added an other onion, some more green pepper, and about 4 more cups of tomatoes. I'll add an other glug of ACV before canning the stuff. What SHOULD have yielded 12 cups of finished salsa will now yield about 18. This... added to the 21 cups already in storage. I really don't eat THAT much salsa. One jar usually lasts 3 weeks for me. And, Hubby, in spite of his spicier palate rarely eats it!

ETA: Hubby must have read this post. Before we went to bed, he looked me in the eye, and said: "That salsa WAS NOT too hot for me!" So, I post this correction, lest any readers mistakenly think he has a wimpy palate!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like freeze-drying my salsa when I make it. It takes up less space and all I have to do when I want some is just spoon some into a bowl and add some water. It rehydrates in about a minute and I only make what I will use in a few days. Now I don't have to dump it when it turns fuzzy and polychromatic in the fridge.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's true, my freeze-dryer has turned out to be even more useful than I originally thought. But I still like and use my canning kettles and dehydrator too. Each one has uses it excels at. I'm finishing up my plum butter today and then I'll can that and be done with my plum harvest.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Washed and cooking down 7 qt Concord grapes for jelly. Made a jelly bag out of a cotton towel (not terry cloth!) Have never made jelly before (only done jams). So, this will be a new game for me. The chickens got about 1# of grapes that I deemed to be not ripe enough for the jelly!

Using Pomona's pectin. So, I will only use as much sugar as needed to cut the tart to a comfortable level!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I REALLY don't like super sweet jelly and is probably why we both prefer jams...less sugar, more fruit. I made some wild blackberry and some beauty berry this yr. Had to try the beauty berry as I have so many but, tastes sort alike maraschino cherry. Ehhh. OK but, not my thing, although good.

HOWEVER -- I can see that I am not wanting to try your salsa....with all that heat! :lol: I tend to not measure, also. But I know not to splurge on the Jalapenos!! o_O

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I honestly didn't think I was splurging The recipe called for 8 Jals.

The beauty of Pomona's is that you don't have to use any more sugar than your taste preference dictates. Or, if you are cooking for a diabetic, you could use the fake sugars, or even Stevia. Hubby is a diabetic, but we do not use any fake sugars in our house, except for his diet sodas. I don't like the after-taste of Stevia, and on general principle, (plus the fact that many of the fake sweeteners give me a wicked head ache) I'll not let the fake stuff pass my lips.

I'm hoping that the salsa will mellow as it sits in the jar. That seems to be the case, and I'm hoping this year is not an exception. Hubby says, I'll just have to get tough!

Last edited: