WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never been able to wrap my head around putting apples in a meat dish. but... you never know what wild and crazy things I'll try as I get older!!! Yes you are right. It's really not difficult to add the seasoning AFTER the canning.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A few years ago I canned 7 quarts of apple pie filling and 7 quarts of apple chunks in apple juice. The apple chunks were gone and I still have a jar of apple pie filling left.
And my recipe for apple pie filling siphoned out just like yours - I even used a ruler to make sure I had the correct head space.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fruit and meat are good together. Pork and apples, chicken and apricots...yum! Many combinations work well. Yes, onions and many fruits are fantastic together. Not unusual...many salsas have both.

I believe the extra sugar in things like fillings cause the product to siphon out...:idunno I know it doesn't with jelly BUT that has thickened with the pectin first. It's curious. I like the apples plain so I can use them in different ways with different spices.
Speaking of apples, I have about 8# I need to work up into something. :rolleyes:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think in might have been the canning starch I am using now. It is a bulk product, purchased from the local Mennonite store. It is basically a generic Clear Jel.
I did a test on it and it seems to expand more than Clear Jel, so I am going to can some Cherry Pie filling and use less of the powder and see if it works better. I wasn't really happy with the final product last time, it seemed very thick, so less will be better.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fruit and meat are good together. Pork and apples, chicken and apricots...yum! Many combinations work well. Yes, onions and many fruits are fantastic together. Not unusual...many salsas have both.

I remember making a wonderful oxtail stew once that had oranges in it...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This one sounds very close to a recipe that one of my ethnic customers described to me. The only thing really different is that he didn't mention the cinnamon or the milk (or if he did - I disremember, lol). He did talk about putting water in the lard and the oranges,, the bay leaves and the other spices... This will be the recipe I try when I get the opportunity. If you try it please let us know how it turns out!

https://www.confessionsofafoodie.me/2014/06/how-to-make-the-best-carnitas.html

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Untested by me, but a google search turned this up: Let me know how you like it (if you try it. I may have to give it a go. I've done pulled pork, but it was basic with BBQ sauce and chili powder, etc.)

https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/10/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons salt, or more, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 pound pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • 2 oranges, juiced
  • 2 limes, juiced

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That recipe sounds good. I tried one with beer, it was ok but not great. I don't think the beer added anything to the recipe and DH agreed. I may try this if I find a pork shoulder in the freezer when I clean it out this weekend.